How do I find a beneficary?

Options
A beneficiary in my relatives will needs to be found. I have an address, but no door number. I also have a full name. How can I get in touch with this person? 
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,363 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How many residences does the address you have cover?  John Smith, Manchester will be harder to find and probably need a different approach than John Smith, Little Bytham.

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is beneficiary on local voters list?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Local Facebook page. Any number of busy bodies on those who would know who you were talking about, and/or tag them in. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,659 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Or the NextDoor site.  Or LinkedIn,
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,659 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Or even google earth and see what you can see from the streetside view.  Maybe enough to get a number that you can send a query to.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A librarian may be able to help, at least with advice on sources if not on the actual search (my sibling is a librarian and can find people terrifyingly well).
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just knock on a random door in that road. “Does Joe Bloggs live here?”  “No, he is at no. 19 across the road.”

Or, look on the electoral register, etc. 

Or, spend a couple of hundred pounds getting a private enquiry agent to do it.

I once hired a retired policewoman to do a similar job, and she asked a few questions to make sure what I was asking her was all legal.  She was very efficient, and I would happily engage her again if needed. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A beneficiary in my relatives will needs to be found. I have an address, but no door number. I also have a full name. How can I get in touch with this person? 
    Write to them using their full name, and the address you have. Royal Mail is much criticised, but one of their strengths is delivering letters even when addresses are sadly lacking. If you have the street, town and postcode, that's a lot better than many of the things they have to deal with.

Don't give away any personal information in your letter other than, say, an email/mobile, and indicate you would like to talk to them about 'the late Mr/Ms......' [omit the first name - just give the surname], which should be enough to ensure they get in touch. 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May at 8:36AM
    Options
    How recent is the Will? The address might not be up to date, the beneficiary may be deceased, etc.

I take it you've already tried asking via friends/family? No clues about what the connection to the person is? (work/school/pastimes etc). Any clues in address books, emails, etc?

A tracing agent might be able to find them quickly and cheaply.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,892 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go to the library and check the free Ancestry website. Put the street name in keywords and the full name and town. It may well give you the specific house number and post code if they lived there before 2010, possibly later, and an approximate date of birth. It may even give you a more recent address.

Check the 192.com website. Just put in the name, street and town with the post code, and you'll be able to tell if they still live there. Or if they have/had a company directorship

Note, some people opt out of the electoral roll. And obviously much easier if their surname is uncommon in the area.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport