IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

No Parking on Access Roads/ Roadways PCN- UKCPM -

Options
Hello everyone,

I wondering if I could get some quick advice. I have been through the forum and tried to find a case related to me, but could not find one.

I have been fined by UKCPM for parking on the access road to their car park. 

My kids have been attending the nearby school which is located at the end of the main street, I have been parking there for the last 5 years for about 5-10 min and have just now been fined. I suspect that this is related to the change of the T&C. On the picture showing the Parking T&C, which I took after I received the ticket, I can see that they have introduced a change by placing a sticker with the text 'No parking on roadways/ access roads at any time'. I have no idea when they changed it and nobody would even notice it as the sign is quite small and from the location where I parked you cannot see it. 

In addition, the ticket states that 'the signage, which is clearly displayed throughout the area, states the land is private and that parking conditions apply.  The sign states that the land is private but the sign is located 7m from the main road which to me meant that you cannot park beyond the sign not in front of it. 

Also, I have spoken with other parents about the issue, and they have told me that have been advised by a guy who takes the pictures that they cannot park here or he will issue them a ticket, nobody approached me and warmed me. 

Can you advise if I have any chance of appealing and cancelling the PCN or if I need to suck the bullet and pay for it? 

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My first check would be with the council to find out what is and what isn't public highway 
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    first of all this is not a fine secondly do not attempt to identify a or guess as to who the driver could have been. 
    never use phrases like i parked, she parked, he, uncle, aunt, brother,  sister and so on
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • AppleCrumble89
    Options
    My first check would be with the council to find out what is and what isn't public highway 
    is there a website that shows the boundaries where private and public roads stop/start?
  • AppleCrumble89
    Options
    Half_way said:
    first of all this is not a fine secondly do not attempt to identify a or guess as to who the driver could have been. 
    never use phrases like i parked, she parked, he, uncle, aunt, brother,  sister and so on
    even on this forum? 
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May at 3:05PM
    Options
    Half_way said:
    even on this forum? 
    Yes, even on this forum.

Do you know whether or not UKCPM visit this forum?
  • AppleCrumble89
    Options
    is there a website that shows the boundaries where private and public roads stop/start?

• Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

No, but the local council should know 
  • LDast
    LDast Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well, if there's been a material change to the terms, even though this is an IPC shyster operator, they have breached their AOS guidelines.

The IPC CoP states:
    Changes in Operator’s Terms and Conditions

Where there is any change to any pre-existing terms and conditions that would not be immediately apparent to a person visiting the Car Park and which materially affects the Motorist the Operator should place additional (temporary) notices at the entrance making it clear that new terms and conditions/charges apply, such that regular visitors who may be familiar with the old terms do not inadvertently incur Parking Charges. Notices should be in addition to the signage ordinarily required and left in place for an appropriate period.

However, as they have recently announced tha they and the BPA are going to introduce a joint CoP to try and deflect some the wrath that is coming their way in the near future, for being the mendacious thugs that they are in reality, you may want to highlight that their competitor ATA, the BPA have the following in their CoP:

Material change - notices

Where there is any material change to any pre-existing terms and conditions that would not be immediately apparent to a motorist entering controlled land that is or has been open for public parking, you must place additional (temporary) notices at the site entrance for a period of not less than 4 months from the date of the change making it clear that new terms and conditions/ charges apply, such that regular visitors who might be familiar with the old terms do not inadvertently incur parking charges.

So, you may want to highlight this breach of their CoP should you want to waste your time in appealing this. Newbies/FAQ thread has all the relevant advice.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 May at 8:55PM
    Options
    Guess who might have suggested that period of not less than 4 months?!

B) 
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback