Warranties are they useless ?

Options
Hi
Bought a composite front door 2 years ago. 25 year warranty
The beading and seal around the long thin window is cracking and coming away 
Sent photos to the firm, the manufacturers will send the new parts,  but the firm we bought the door from want £50 for their fitters to put it in place

Should we pay ???

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on what the warrany says.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,666 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May at 10:45AM
    Options
    Hello OP

You'd have to check the terms of the warranty to see whether it covers labour. 

You also have consumer rights but to be honest 50 quid is nothing these days, I'm surprised they'd even attend for that amount, if the warranty doesn't cover labour to refit for an easy life I'd just pay. :) 
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi
    Bought a composite front door 2 years ago. 25 year warranty
    The beading and seal around the long thin window is cracking and coming away 
    Sent photos to the firm, the manufacturers will send the new parts,  but the firm we bought the door from want £50 for their fitters to put it in place

Should we pay ???
    If the warranty says they'll supply the parts only, and if you want the door fixed, then yes.  Presumably the manufacturer supplies the warranty.  Why should the fitters have to do the work for nothing?

The alternative route is to use your consumer rights, asking the firm you bought the door from to fix the problem because there's clearly a manufacturing defect.  See what they say.

Warranties aren't useless, but people need to read and understand them when choosing/buying, rather than being surprised by the terms of them if/when they need to use them.   Some are better than others.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 May at 12:54PM
    Options
    You might also want to question why the beading appears to have failed after only 2 years.
    I am sure you would prefer not to have to replace it, at cost, every 2 years.

Past caring about first world problems.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm going to guess that it's a dark-coloured door that's in sunlight and hasn't been made to withstand big temperature fluctuations.  I've heard of problems with them, particularly as dark colours are fashionable at the moment.  Loads of houses round my way have gone for that "grey plague" look - all grey rendering and dark grey windows and doors.  Some neighbours have had problems with sticking doors and windows in warm, sunny weather.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's the normal stuff then very easy to replace the beading, 10 mins max. Any competant DIY er or handy man can do it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback