🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is this a fair price for a kitchen renovation?

Options
Maccy99
Maccy99 Posts: 17 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 10 May at 10:26AM in Is this quote fair?
Morning everyone, 

My partner and I are looking to have our kitchen renovated very soon, which is uncharted territory for both of us. As neither of us have any experience with this, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help us determine if a quote we have received for the works is a fair price to pay?

We will also be speaking to a few more people to see where they come in at, but any advice I can gather here in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. 

For an overview of what the job entails, we are looking to have the following done:

-Boiler moved (not very far, maybe around a foor)
-Radiator moved (again, not very far - we just need to replace a wide radiator with a tall, narrow one)
-Old kitchen stripped out
-New Kitchen fitted
-Wooden flooring installed

We have been provided a quote on the basis that we will provide all the materials, which we are fairly confidence in arranging. We went to Wren this week to get a quote, which came in just shy of 10K (without a worktop, appliances, or fitting). My instinct was that this was excessive, and I have since re-build the kitchen with DIY Kitchens online for comparison, and it comes in at around 4.5K.

Anyway, the quote we have been provided by the labourers is:

1. Strip out: £995.00
  2. Flooring: £1,250.00
  3. Gas work and boiler installation (including radiator): £1,450.00
  4. Kitchen services relocation and fitting: £2,995.00
  5. Splashback tiling: £450.00
  6. Decorating (including woodwork): £990.00
  7. Sealant and satinwood: £140.00

Subtotal: £8,270.00 VAT: £1,654.00 Total: £9,924.0

We are based on South East London, and the kitchen is 15'11 x 11'11 (it's a Galley Style Kitchen plan). 

Any advise anyone has in terms of buying the materials would also be great. We are not considering Wren at this stage, as their prices seem extortionate. 

I can provide the kitchen plan if this helps give some context!

Comments

• carly
    carly Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spam.  Reported.  Not even useful spam as US based.  
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    carly said:
    Spam.  Reported.  Not even useful spam as US based.  
    It now looks like you're calling the original post spam, not the one that has been removed (I reported it too). Probably best you delete your post (then I'll delete this one).
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,915 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 May at 3:30PM
    Options
    Maccy99 said: Anyway, the quote we have been provided by the labourers is:

We are based on South East London, and the kitchen is 15'11 x 11'11 (it's a Galley Style Kitchen plan).

4.85m by 3.6m is a reasonable size kitchen... I see no mention of electrics. Kitchens often lack sufficient sockets. If you are also relocating under counter appliances, you need sockets for them with isolator switches above the worktop. Or is that what "kitchen services relocation" covers along with any plumbing work ?
    Oh, and don't forget to have a decent extractor hood/fan venting to outside.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Maccy99 said: Anyway, the quote we have been provided by the labourers is:

4.85m by 3.6m is a reasonable size kitchen... I see no mention of electrics. Kitchens often lack sufficient sockets. If you are also relocating under counter appliances, you need sockets for them with isolator switches above the worktop. Or is that what "kitchen services relocation" covers along with any plumbing work ?
    Oh, and don't forget to have a decent extractor hood/fan venting to outside.

I presume the electrical works is under the generic title of "Kitchen services relocation and fitting", but I may be wrong.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Maccy99
    Options
    Thanks guys. 

We are not relocating any appliances, so I don't think there's too much to be done from a wiring perspective (though we don't move in until Friday so not 100% sure). The placement of everything in the kitchen is I'd say 80% close to like for like, ie, sink in the same place, oven in the same place.

We would be moving the boiler slightly so that it's hidden within one of the kitchen cupboards, and move the radiator so we can have some corner seating fitted. 

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds about right to me if that's the whole job.
  • Maccy99
    Options
    Thanks, Mr Generous. We also thought it seemed a fair price given the specific cost breakdown/extent of work covered, but as I say - are very wet behind the ears.

We are going to get a few more quotes from labourers, suppliers, and maybe visit a few bespoke kitchen places to try and get a better picture for what we can expect for the money we're willing to spend/just how high costs can go...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure