PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to do about neighbours parking

Options
The people who live two doors down from me whenever they have visitors, the visitors don’t park outside their house they park outside my next door neighbours house.

My next door neighbour is an elderly man and because his driveway is narrow he parks his car on the road outside his house so that 1. He can get out of the car easily and 2. He doesn’t damage his car. However, when the people two doors down have visitors he can’t park fully outside his house so he partially parks outside his house but the issue is he is then partially blocking my drive meaning that I have to bump down an undropped section of the kerb when I am leaving my house or if I am coming home because the street is so narrow I can’t manoeuvre my car onto my drive and I too have to park it on the road until the visitors from two doors down leave and then we all move our cars.

My next door neighbour is really apologetic whenever it happens but ultimately it’s not his fault, it’s the fault of the people visiting the house two doors down. Is there anything I can do? My next door neighbour tried talking to the people who’s visitors keep parking outside his house causing all this hassle but they basically told him to mind his own business. 

Comments

• Schwarzwald
    Schwarzwald Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are the visitors parking correctly or incorrectly?
  • MikeL93
    MikeL93 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Are the visitors parking correctly or incorrectly?
    They are half on the kerb and half off which everyone does on the street as it’s very narrow. I wouldn’t say they’re parking incorrectly, it’s more they’re not being very courteous to people who live on the street.

The people they are visiting know the reasons why my neighbour has to park on the road outside his house. It’s sort of an unwritten agreement that no one on the street will park outside his house because he’s elderly and has issues etc. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 7:31AM
    Options
    I guess all that is left is peer pressure.
    Your elderly neighbour has explained the situation to them, and they clearly aren't bothered. 
    Do you feel up to having a polite chat yourself? Try every honest emotive angle; tell them that the guy is upset that he's putting you at inconvenience by partly blocking your drive, and feels helpless about it - it's making him very unhappy. Really - how many more seconds of walking would it take your visitors to park 20 yards further up the road? Explain it would be the decent thing to do, and that - one day - they'll be elderly too, and will undoubtedly hope that younger folk will treat them with more consideration and respect than they are doing.
    Does this elderly fellow have any armed forces background - that could be a great persuader, as these sorts of thoughtless entitled arrisols bizarrely often tend to also have an over-keen appreciation of our 'guys', as tho' basking in reflected glory and machoism. You know the type - complete t'seaurs - so use it against them.
    And, if any other neighbour who understands this same 'unwritten agreement' could also try having a word, then they might just crumble.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your neighbour have trouble walking?  If a blue badge is an option for him, he could then apply for a marked space outside his home.  If he does not have that much trouble walking, he should park further down the road himself or outside the neighbours with visitors and not block your drive.
    If he just refuses to do that, then talking to the neighbours - not that their visitors shouldn't park there because it is his space - but as a kindness to you as he keeps affecting you by parking poorly.

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • BungalowBel
    BungalowBel Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    AFAIAA, if it is a public highway, as long as people are parked legally, then they can park outside your neighbour's house.  It's really him that is being inconsiderate, by blocking your drive.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    MikeL93 said:

My next door neighbour is really apologetic whenever it happens but ultimately it’s not his fault
    But it is though. He's the one opting to park neither on his own driveway or a bit further down the road. Being "elderly" doesn't give him an excuse. Or are you saying he's actually disabled?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Options
    If he is blocking you in, he needs to stop or call up the council to get a ticket. Let him deal with HIS neighbour.
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there a sign permitting pavement parking? If not you can report those who are on, or partially on the pavement. It might be enough to make all parties rethink their actions. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback