Travel insurance taking statins but cholesterol not high

Options
I've noted that travel ins charges a lot more if you have had raised cholesterol even though it may be well under control with meds/statins

The other day I was offered statins due to "high risk" as my parents had heart attacks, IE dad just before 60 and my mum when she was much older.

My cholesterol levels here are within the normal range but a health check  (for those turning 60)showed I was at "greater risk" and was recommended statins

The question that is always ask, "do you have or have raised/high cholesterol." IMO, the answer is no.

What do you think?

Comments

• Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 May at 8:54PM
    Options
    If you have had a blood test that showed your cholesterol was high, then obviously "Yes". Otherwise "No".  There are several factors that result in being classed as "greater risk".  Cholesterol is only one of them.  I'm on Statins as my blood test showed slightly high cholesterol.  I'm not a medic, so better qualified others may have a different opinion.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have annual travel insurance cover through my bank account and conditions such as high cholesterol etc are one of the very many non notifiable conditions listed in the policy.

You may as well say yes as it would appear to be a minimal risk in their eyes and probably incur no difference in the cost of the policy. 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,589 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Having just this evening sorted some travel insurance its a two leg query along the lines of:

First question - do you take statins? Yes

followed by 

Second question - do you have raised cholesterol? No

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 12:09AM
    Options
    I've noted that travel ins charges a lot more if you have had raised cholesterol even though it may be well under control with meds/statins

The other day I was offered statins due to "high risk" as my parents had heart attacks, IE dad just before 60 and my mum when she was much older.

My cholesterol levels here are within the normal range but a health check  (for those turning 60)showed I was at "greater risk" and was recommended statins

The question that is always ask, "do you have or have raised/high cholesterol." IMO, the answer is no.

What do you think?
    Do you have high blood pressure? Even if its controlled its still needs to be mentioned to the insurer so the likely hood if you where on medication for cholesterol  you would also have to mention this
    There is no additional charge for blood pressure on my policy 
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    daveyjp said:
    Having just this evening sorted some travel insurance its a two leg query along the lines of:

followed by 

Then will they not ask why do you take statins and what dosage  you are on and how long have you been on that amount
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    35har1old said:
    daveyjp said:

followed by 

Then will they not ask why do you take statins and what dosage  you are on and how long have you been on that amount
    Will probably assume that you only don't have raised cholesterol because you are taking statins. I get asked the other way round with the raised cholesterol question first. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,084 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    35har1old said:
    daveyjp said:

followed by 

Not in my experience with specifically the same issue. I also think they don’t ask questions that start with ‘why’, they want definitive yes/ no answers.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • UnsureAboutthis
    UnsureAboutthis Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello 

A big thanks to all. Sorry, I took time to come back as busy with life stuff. I found the comments very helpful.
    I double-checked with GP and I don't have high cholesterol nor BP. 

Therefore, as posted by a couple of posters - I will find it easier to encounter the travel insurance form/questions
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback