🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Insurance MID database problems - trying to get redress for damage to property

Options
Hi all

I have been chasing since last December a scoundrel who damaged my woodland plot (fence, trees etc.) by coming off the road in his fancy car before disappearing. The driver is lucky to be alive judging by the damage caused to a substantial oak, the car did not survive.

I have copious details including photos, the registration and police accident report but not alas the driver's name etc. or the insurance company. I am still trying to locate either or both to make a claim for the damage. The woodland is not insured for this type of claim (it is insured if one of my trees were to fall on, say, a passing car!).

Checking the day after I could see that the car was taxed, insured and with valid MOT. Now it is not and it has clearly been written off.

I have tried the insurance MID database paying my £10 fee and with no response.

So the first question is, does anyone have any sort of contact details for insurance MID in order to ask where my request has gone. There is neither Phone, email, address for this organisation. Loathe to spend another £10 to no effect.

Tried the police also - they have all the info but cite data protection. No luck.

I have also tried to obtain details of the driver from the DVLA using a form V888. They have eventually answered that there was no registered keeper on the date of the accident - but for a different registration number! Has the car changed plates? Still chasing that one.

Anyone else tried to do find a driver in these circumstances? Not keen to engage solicitors as they would exceed the claim cost. Anyone else know of another route to get the info I need?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 8:19AM
    Options
    MID is run by the MIB, have you used their contact form to chase the response? 

https://enquiry.navigate.mib.org.uk/contact-us 

I've traced hundreds of such vehicles but that was back in the days of working in claims where MID was instant and a DVLA check was £2.50 and took a few days. 
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Mustbeananswer?? Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RobPW said:
    Hi all

I have been chasing since last December a scoundrel who damaged my woodland plot (fence, trees etc.) by coming off the road in his fancy car before disappearing. The driver is lucky to be alive judging by the damage caused to a substantial oak, the car did not survive.

I have copious details including photos, the registration and police accident report but not alas the driver's name etc. or the insurance company. I am still trying to locate either or both to make a claim for the damage. The woodland is not insured for this type of claim (it is insured if one of my trees were to fall on, say, a passing car!).

Checking the day after I could see that the car was taxed, insured and with valid MOT. Now it is not and it has clearly been written off.

I have tried the insurance MID database paying my £10 fee and with no response.

So the first question is, does anyone have any sort of contact details for insurance MID in order to ask where my request has gone. There is neither Phone, email, address for this organisation. Loathe to spend another £10 to no effect.

Tried the police also - they have all the info but cite data protection. No luck.

I have also tried to obtain details of the driver from the DVLA using a form V888. They have eventually answered that there was no registered keeper on the date of the accident - but for a different registration number! Has the car changed plates? Still chasing that one.

Anyone else tried to do find a driver in these circumstances? Not keen to engage solicitors as they would exceed the claim cost. Anyone else know of another route to get the info I need?

Any help appreciated.

The Mid site has been down for about 2 weeks now....there was routine work needed and its gone on and on and on and on......what a world we live in!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure