🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ferranti International Plc shares

Options
I've recently come across a share certificate for 1000 ordinary shares in Ferranti International Plc which I purchased in 1990 and had totally forgotten about. According to Companies House Ferranti Int. Plc. ceased trading earlier this year but I believe there were one or more buy-outs in the intervening period. I moved house in 1996 and would not have received any correspondence in this regard. Are these now worth zilch, and does anyone know how I can find out?

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The company was only struck off this year but it ceased trading decades ago, going into administration back in 1993. 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 May at 4:56PM
    Options
    Niknek said:
    I've recently come across a share certificate for 1000 ordinary shares in Ferranti International Plc which I purchased in 1990 and had totally forgotten about. According to Companies House Ferranti Int. Plc. ceased trading earlier this year but I believe there were one or more buy-outs in the intervening period. I moved house in 1996 and would not have received any correspondence in this regard. Are these now worth zilch, and does anyone know how I can find out?
    Worthless. Bankrupt in 1993. It has the ignominy of appearing on HMRC's negligible value list i.e. you could have made the claim for the capital loss from the 93/94 tax year. I guess the 'dissolved' date will soon be added.

NB I wondered whether taking 30 years to be dissolved is some kind of record but even in the list shown below Fairfield Shipbuilding took longer.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/negligible-value-agreements#companies-d-to-f
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport