🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Deferred Local Government Pension

Options
I have two Local Govt pensions, one which I am currently paying into, and one which I stopped contributing to some time ago and is a deferred pension (basically I forgot to transfer it to my current pension fund). I recently turned 60 and my deferred pension fund asked me if I want to start taking my pension, or to continue to defer it. I know little about pensions and it had never occurred to me that I could take a pension without retiring. I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't start taking the pension (and the lump sum) now, can anyone point out any reasons why I wouldn't do this?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tax ? ...............
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When did you join/leave this post?  If you meet R85 then your benefits would be payable in full from age 60.  
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This was suggested to me too (but too late) on the basis that I was in a low tax bracket and taking the pension wouldn't change that.  Obviously if that extra £5k a year or whatever means you are paying 40% on some or all of it I'd suggest you continue to defer.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Daibachysoldiwr
    Options
    Brie said:
    This was suggested to me too (but too late) on the basis that I was in a low tax bracket and taking the pension wouldn't change that.  Obviously if that extra £5k a year or whatever means you are paying 40% on some or all of it I'd suggest you continue to defer.  
    It's about £8k a year plus a £25k lump sum.. It would take me a little bit into the higher tax bracket, so some of it would be taxed at 40%, but, as I understand it, only the bit over the threshold, is that right?
  • Daibachysoldiwr
    Options
    When did you join/leave this post?  If you meet R85 then your benefits would be payable in full from age 60.  
    I left it about 20 years ago but I had transferred pensions from a couple of previous jobs into it. I don't meet the R85, but I'm still working and paying into another LG pension fund. Not planning on retiring for another few years yet.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    I left it about 20 years ago but I had transferred pensions from a couple of previous jobs into it. I don't meet the R85, but I'm still working and paying into another LG pension fund. Not planning on retiring for another few years yet.
    Are you sure about that?  The period in deferment counts towards R85, so 5 years LGPS active membership (transferred in benefits probably don't count)  plus 20 years of deferment plus age 60 = 85.

If that"s the case, then there's really no benefit in deferring payment.  Even if you don't quite meet R85 at 60, you should meet it before 65 (normal NRA for pre 2014 benefits).

• Daibachysoldiwr
    Options
    Are you sure about that?  The period in deferment counts towards R85, so 5 years LGPS active membership (transferred in benefits probably don't count)  plus 20 years of deferment plus age 60 = 85.

If that"s the case, then there's really no benefit in deferring payment.  Even if you don't quite meet R85 at 60, you should meet it before 65 (normal NRA for pre 2014 benefits).

OK thanks I'll have to check that. When I spoke to my deferred pension fund, they told me that the amount of my pension and lump sum will not increase if I defer, so I don't see that there's any advantage in doing so.
  • Silvertabby
    Options

OK thanks I'll have to check that. When I spoke to my deferred pension fund, they told me that the amount of my pension and lump sum will not increase if I defer, so I don't see that there's any advantage in doing so.
    Sounds like you do meet R85 at 60.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    It's about £8k a year plus a £25k lump sum.. It would take me a little bit into the higher tax bracket, so some of it would be taxed at 40%, but, as I understand it, only the bit over the threshold, is that right?
    That's right, only the bit over the threshold.

To maximise the benefit you could always pay that portion in to the LGPS AVC scheme, get the 40% tax break and then withdraw it tax free when you start to take your pension from your current employment.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If your pension is unexpected income and it is available you could salary sacrifice the equivalent of the pension into AVCs. 

Reduce your salary by £8k (as long as this still keeps you above minimum wage), pay this £8k into AVCs, which will only cost you about £5,800.  You are then below the threshold for 40% tax and saving for another 100% tax free lump sum when you retire fully.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure