🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Giving away stuff for free - timewasters !!!!!

Options
Had 5 very large (3ft x 2ft) patio slabs to give away last weekend. Thought if someone else wanted them and it'd save me paying someone to take them.

I'm sure some people see FREE and want whatever it is.......

I put in the advert in big letters - THESE ARE VERY HEAVY. YOU WILL NEED TO PICK THEM AND LOAD THEM YOURSELF BECAUSE I'VE GOT BACK PROBLEMS.

So what happens a young lady turns up on her own with a small Fiesta size car and says, Oh they are heavy aren't they....

Seriously? No they're not the new honeycomb lightweight 6 sq ft of concrete (they weight 30kg each!!!!!). Unreal....

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're lucky! At least someone came!

I got fed up of people saying they would have an item, then when you tried to arrange date/time pick up, you hear no more from them.

But I do agree, some people just don't read what is written
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,566 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Admittedly sometimes people don't know what heavy actually means.  Heavy like a bag of flour?  How big a bag??

Hopefully she realised that she would need help (& possibly a bigger car) and came back with some brute force and an SUV.  

I realise that heavy can be very heavy so tried to go prepared when someone on freegle was offering some chunks of limestone.  Nearly killed me getting them into the car while the bloke who was getting rid stood there and watched.  I'd thought ahead a bit and taken a couple of big trugs which made it easier to lift things but it was a proper struggle.  And there was no way I was going to surrender these beauties as I had the perfect spot for them in the garden.  Fortunately once I got them home I could get my tame gardener to shift them into position for me.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate it when you specifically say “must collect” and they say they want and then later say, “can you deliver please - I don’t have time / transport” insert appropriate excuse. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £40,750.02
  • kipperman
    kipperman Posts: 245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
     I've resorted to just asking them which bit of "collection only" do they not understand..?
  • cherie1122
    cherie1122 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I run a Freegle group and after ten years or so am still amazed at the members.  If I need to dispose of things I often put them on FB Marketplace and give them away there.  It's quick and easy.  

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    it works both ways.  I have requested stuff on local FB groups. Get a reply I have x and y.  You contact them about collection and never hear back from them again
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We offered a decent 8' x6' shed for free.  Taker to dismantle and remove.  First response was from a 
    lady who thought it would make a lovely play house for her girls - but as she was a single mum, we would have to deliver the shed to her house and put it up for her.  I'm only surprised that she didn't expect us to paint it pink!

Second caller took it.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anyone who deals with the public will know this level of inability to comprehend even the simplest statement combined with a sense of entitlement is sadly widespread. 

• thriftytracey
    thriftytracey Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What I don't understand they message on FB Marketplace they want to buy, will collect, arrange a time, then never ask for address and you hear no more from them.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure