Car involved in shunt while being driven by dealership mechanic...

Options
Shfpower
Shfpower Posts: 6 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
We would be grateful for any advice anyone might have about an incident explained below.

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Almost impossible to read in that tiny font.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, you can't cancel the PCP arrangement. It's not a monthly cost to use the car, it's simply a way of spreading the initial purchase price of the car through borrowed money, so the idea that you are still paying and don't have the car whilst it's being repaired is irrelevant. You wouldn't expect some money back from the purchase of the car had you paid in full.

Raise a complaint with the dealership if their communication isn't good, and ask to be compensated for the time/cost associated with visiting the bodyshop/dealer for the repair.
  • cw8825
    cw8825 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shfpower said:
    We would be grateful for any advice anyone might have about an incident explained below.

whos insurance is dealing with this? i assume the dealers/other driver
    they should really be providing a like for like vehicle - this is something you can take up with them.

Its very unlikely your going to be able to cancel the PCP and return the car. This is an unfortunate incident.

Yes you are the innocent party but this is something which could have happened regardless.
    The situation with parts on part order is not something the dealership can change.

I would suggest speaking to the people who are handling your part of the claim. 
    If your car is going to be ff road for an unspecified amount of time, ask for a more suitable replacement.

The focus needs to be on moving forward rather than looking to compensate. 
  • sew_what
    sew_what Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    My husband's car was driven into a wall by the mechanic (clutch had gone and they were trying to get it onto the ramps & couldn't stop!)  The garage repaired the car, gave us a loan car and we had two years free servicing!
  • Shfpower
    Shfpower Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! Sorry if it comes across that we are compensation chasers. We really aren't - we are just really frustrated. I appreciate the advice, and also see the misunderstanding I made about PCP. 
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the car still drivable? Is the damage just cosmetic? I wonder if you could request your car back until they get the parts in?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Options
    See if you can claim on your insurance and they will recoup the cost.
  • cw8825
    cw8825 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    m0bov said:
    unlikely
    the mechanic would not be covered under a normal motor policy & a normal policy usually will exclude cover when with a motor trader

happened previously where a valet crashed my car, it was all handled under the insurance of the valet.

• XRS200
    XRS200 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    cw8825 said:
    m0bov said:
    unlikely
    the mechanic would not be covered under a normal motor policy & a normal policy usually will exclude cover when with a motor trader

happened previously where a valet crashed my car, it was all handled under the insurance of the valet.

I could be wrong but I thought normal policies did cover whilst with a repairer or valet service.  Pretty sure direct line do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback