🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage and Partner's Credit Rating

Options

Can someone please advise if my husband’s credit rating will be negatively affected if he adds me to his mortgage? We have separate finances and he’s got a perfect credit score. I had a voluntary house repossession in the past which will continue to affect my credit rating for another 3 years. I want to pay a lump sum towards the mortgage and be added to the title deed (we haven’t figured out the details yet, but provisionally he’ll own ¾ and I will own ¼ of the house). Will we have to add my name to the mortgage as well and how will it affect his credit rating? 

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Assuming you are not already, you will become financially associated. 
    You will have an effect on his credit report yes. 

You will also need to apply to be added to the mortgage, the lender may not accept you depending on the details. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You cannot be an owner without also being a borrower. If you contribute towards the deposit and aren't party to the ownership and mortgage and intend to reside in the property, many lenders won't lend. Many also won't do a sole mortgage where the applicant is married. Be careful with this if you aren't going to use a decent broker.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,559 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I was under the assumption that one person cannot affect another's credit record.  Yes you will be listed as living at the same address but presumably you are already so that's done.  And there's no such thing as financially associated.  

I'm assuming when you say your repossession will be showing on your credit record for another 3 years it happened about 3 years back.  If that's the only issue of note and everything has been tidy since then I think there should be few issues.  If you also have an income then what you are doing is making the affordability of the mortgage less of a risk to the bank.  

And you can state that he owns X% and you the balance but in the case of a split it might not be looked at in that way.  It may be more pertinent should one of you die and beneficiaries will inherit your/his portion.  If this is the case then consider what happens if the heirs decide they want to sell their portion.  Solicitors know how to deal with this so it's not a problem for the surviving spouse.  (sorry to get so grim.....)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    I was under the assumption that one person cannot affect another's credit record.  Yes you will be listed as living at the same address but presumably you are already so that's done.  And there's no such thing as financially associated.  

This is incorrect - joint accounts create a financial association and adverse credit will impact on the associated persons ability to get finance.
    Financial Association | What To Know About Shared Finances | Experian
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Xannaoh
    Xannaoh Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You cannot be an owner without also being a borrower. If you contribute towards the deposit and aren't party to the ownership and mortgage and intend to reside in the property, many lenders won't lend. Many also won't do a sole mortgage where the applicant is married. Be careful with this if you aren't going to use a decent broker.
    He's already got a mortgage in his sole name and we won't be borrowing any more money from the bank. I want to pay off a part of his existing mortgage and in return want to be added to the title deed :-)
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Xannaoh said:
    He's already got a mortgage in his sole name and we won't be borrowing any more money from the bank. I want to pay off a part of his existing mortgage and in return want to be added to the title deed :-)
    As ACG & kingstreet already stated, you are going to have to be added to the mortgage as well, not just the title deed.
    Your financial history will have an impact on his credit report and the lender will have to decide if they are willing to add you to the mortgage.
    There isn't an option that just has you giving him money to pay down the mortgage and getting yourself added to the deed...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure