PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

understanding contract

Options
I have been renting a flat for 6 months and about to sign long term contract , rolling type. So it would be for a year initially and then just rolling from then.  Does it mean I must stay here for a year , cant give a notice if lets say I need to end the agreement? And then after a year I can give a notice if I need to. Or I can give a notice within that 1st year as normal? thanks

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unless the 12month contract has a break clause in it then yes you are liable for rent for 12 months minimum, if you've just come out of a six month fixed term just tell them you'd rather go rolling now than sign up again (if thats what you want to do but remember that means they can give you two months notice at any stage).
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May at 3:54PM
    Options
    At the end of your current fixed term (ie. the initial 6 months) your TA will automatically convert to a periodic (rolling) tenancy. This is enshrined in law and your LL cannot stop this from happening. The terms of the periodic tenancy will either be defined in your current TA, or by statute if there's nothing in your TA. There's no legal requirement for you to sign a new TA if you don't want to, so you would move onto a periodic tenancy by default unless you sign a new agreement.

Otherwise, you will be bound by any conditions in the new contract you sign. Without a break clause you would be liable for the entire 12 month period, unless you can agree mutual surrender with your LL - but there is no legal requirement for them to agree to this. After the 12 month fixed period, you would move onto another periodic tenancy, and would be able to leave with shorter notice same as you would above with the 6 month agreement.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As explained above.
    For more detail (and assuming this is England!), see
    Post 4: Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback