Don't know where else to Post...

Options
UKDeejay
UKDeejay Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I am at my wit's end!

Since approximately September 2023 we have received a constant stream of envelopes addressed to a person who has never lived at our address (we are only the second owners, lived here since 2009, and I know the name of the person we purchased from - not the name on these envelopes).
All letters so far have been marked 'to be opened by addressee only' and have had a Return address/PO Box/postcode, so I have returned them unopened.
As they continued, I researched the limited Return Address details and found them linked to various companies - Lendable, Lowell Financial (debt collectors?!) - so I made official complaints to both companies.
Today another envelope arrived and the Return Address is linked - according to Google (via another Post on MSE Forum) - to Northampton County Court. This envelope isn't marked '... addressee only' etc so I am wondering if I should open it to see if there is a phone number etc (I would prefer to remain oblivious and just return it as I have all other envelopes addressed to this non-existent person!)?

Comments

• mluton
    mluton Posts: 799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Open it, be nosey, Bin it, End of.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,080 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is that people who are in massive debt also send letters back marked not known, so the debt collectors don’t know who to believe. Eventually someone will realise and put the name address info on the GAIN (gone away information network) and they should stop. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • UKDeejay
    Options
    silvercar said:
    The problem is that people who are in massive debt also send letters back marked not known, so the debt collectors don’t know who to believe. Eventually someone will realise and put the name address info on the GAIN (gone away information network) and they should stop. 
    Surely these people know what the Electoral Roll/Register is? Why not write to the person(s) registered at the address, asking if they have any knowledge/information???

Never heard of GAIN - is that a real thing?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    UKDeejay said:
    silvercar said:
    Surely these people know what the Electoral Roll/Register is? Why not write to the person(s) registered at the address, asking if they have any knowledge/information???

People aren't always on the roll and the house owners might be part of the scam e.g. not declaring someone to save on council tax so they can't rely on this alone
  • UKDeejay
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    UKDeejay said:
    silvercar said:

People aren't always on the roll and the house owners might be part of the scam e.g. not declaring someone to save on council tax so they can't rely on this alone
    Agreed. But after 8 months you would think they would at least try writing to 'the occupier' at the address...!
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would not hesitate to open any post addressed to my home. As the occupant you are entitled to see what is being sent to your home addresses with an unknown name on it.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 May at 4:37PM
    Options
    I would not hesitate to open any post addressed to my home. As the occupant you are entitled to see what is being sent to your home addresses with an unknown name on it.
    Yep, it's not - contrary to popular belief - illegal to open post address to someone else.  It's only illegal if you do it with the intention of acting to their detriment and without reasonable cause.

Section 84(3) at the bottom of this page :

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May at 4:40PM
    Options
    UKDeejay said:
    I am at my wit's end!
    Relax, there is no need to be.  

UKDeejay said:
    All letters so far have been marked 'to be opened by addressee only' and have had a Return address/PO Box/postcode, so I have returned them unopened.
    Did you mark them "Not known at this address"?  If not, it might be worth doing so on future correspondence.  

UKDeejay said:
    Today another envelope arrived and the Return Address is linked - according to Google (via another Post on MSE Forum) - to Northampton County Court. This envelope isn't marked '... addressee only' etc so I am wondering if I should open it to see if there is a phone number etc (I would prefer to remain oblivious and just return it as I have all other envelopes addressed to this non-existent person!)?
    You do not need to rely on Google to guess the origin of the correspondence - just open it. I would suggest that you just return this item also stating that the addressee does not live at this address.

UKDeejay said:
    silvercar said:
    Surely these people know what the Electoral Roll/Register is? 
    Of course they do but they are under no obligation to check it.  Also, as most addresses are correct, the cost and time involved in double checking the electoral register for every court document that is sent out is just not justified.    

UKDeejay said:
    silvercar said:
    Why not write to the person(s) registered at the address, asking if they have any knowledge/information???
    Because if someone is hiding behind a false ID they are not going to respond honestly, are they?  

There is little for you to do other than return any correspondence that you get.  It is certainly not worth getting stressed over.    
  • UKDeejay
    Options
    MEM62 said:
    Did you mark them "Not known at this address"?  If not, it might be worth doing so on future correspondence.  
    Yes.

I should have made it clear in my original Post, ALL envelopes received so far have been marked 'Return to Sender', 'Not known at this address' & latterly - as they continued - 'NEVER lived at this address'... all to no avail!

If another envelope arrives from this latest Return Address - 'PO Box 1642, Northampton, NN1 9LP' - and is not marked '... addressee only' I will, against my better judgement, open it and see where it gets me...!
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    UKDeejay said:

I will, against my better judgement, 
    Don't do anything against your better judgement! If you're not interested in how much money they owe or to whom, don't open it. Just bin them, they'll stop eventually. I would imagine debt letters are unpleasant to read even if they aren't meant for you, if the sight of someone elses name on an envelope next to your address is upsetting, do not read a letter to someone else threatening legal action.

I once had someone knock on the door and ask if I was [insert name] and I said no. He asked if I'd ever heard of them and I said no. I told him in the next town there was a street with the same name so he could try there. He apologised for disturbing me and I wished him good luck finding his person and he went on his way.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure