🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parents in England expected to contribute up to £15,000 a year towards children's uni living costs

Options
Parents and carers in England have to contribute up to £15,127 a year in order for their children to have a minimum acceptable standard of living at university, according to a major new report published today...

Read the full story:
Parents in England expected to contribute up to £15,000 a year towards children's university living costs, new report finds

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Its always been that way if parents earn over the income limit.  Most people just can't contribute that so students need to get jobs or manage on less.

One of the reasons (IMO) that you should only go to Uni if you need a degree to do the job you want.

It can be a "right of passage" but only if you can afford it!  There are so many other options with work and Apprenticeships these days.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I love the way we can't have discussion posts but MSE bods can create them!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is that £15K to fund the social side of student life?

Might need to up it a bit if the regular antics seen are anything to go buy 🤣
    Life in the slow lane
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 9:07AM
    Options
    Neither of my children (one graduated, one still a student) have needed anything like that amount of money and have still been able to live quite happily. They have been home some summer holidays (apart from one internship each) and worked for a few weeks during that time, but neither have worked whilst away. 
    The money we have contributed has just about brought them up to the maximum maintenance loan.
    This report is likely to put students off of going to uni if they think they need this amount of money.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,143 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Its always been that way if parents earn over the income limit.  Most people just can't contribute that so students need to get jobs or manage on less.

One of the reasons (IMO) that you should only go to Uni if you need a degree to do the job you want.

It can be a "right of passage" but only if you can afford it!  There are so many other options with work and Apprenticeships these days.
    The article says it isn’t only if parents earn over the limit, it is that the max loan hasn’t kept up with costs, so even on a maximum loan there is a large shortfall.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,143 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

I think it depends on the uni location. Go somewhere like Bristol and rents are high and there are many opportunities to spend money. In a quiet town eg Bangor there may be much cheaper rents and less to spend money on.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • letsbenice
    letsbenice Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Well in Exeter just accommodation without utility bills is £9500 plus - the cheapest. Room in a shared house. Similar with Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol... if parents exceed the income bracket which in London is not that hard, student does not get the loan. I don't think £5000 a year for utility bills, food, toiletries, commuting, printing/study related costs is a lot for a year. Do you? I am secondary account holder on my daughter's bank account and can see that even on night out she just buys a soft drink in a club 1 per night. Sometimes I feel really sorry for such a poor student life. In effect kids of parents on benefits are better off as benefits don't count as income - they get to full £10,450 loan and a bursary from university. Sorry but it does not pay to do well in this country. 
  • letsbenice
    First Post
    Options
    silvercar said:

I think it depends on the uni location. Go somewhere like Bristol and rents are high and there are many opportunities to spend money. In a quiet town eg Bangor there may be much cheaper rents and less to spend money on.
    Students should not have to go to inferior university just because accommodation in top unis - Bristol Exeter Cambridge Oxford, etc is so expensive. And loan for adult should not be based on parental income. What if parent has 2-3 kids at uni? Or pays care home fees? High mortgage? Or does not agree with degree choice? Or simply won't pay? And kids of benefit claimants who get UC and housing benefits, which in London come to 40k plus a year, get the full loan = really fair?
  • letsbenice
    First Post
    Options
    Is that £15K to fund the social side of student life?

Might need to up it a bit if the regular antics seen are anything to go buy 🤣
    You cannot be serious accom in Exeter and Bristol £9500 for one grubby room without utility bills. 
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Shock horror -- going to Uni costs money

It might stop a lot of these useless degrees that they do that have zero use in the real world

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure