Ticket/passport first names

Options
A flight from the UK to Munich has been booked for me under 'Mike' whereas my passport says 'Michael'. Will it be a problem; should I ask the company that booked it if the ticket can be amended?

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May at 10:41PM
    Options
    Airlines often correct obvious errors for no charge. Although some may have policies like no more than 3 letters, but it can often depend on the call handler.

If you booked via an agent they may charge for this regardless of whether the airline do, as agents have their own admin fees. 

Theres also the option of leaving it. 9 times out of 10 it's probably fine, the problem being the stakes are quite high if you're the 10th and they refuse to let you check in! 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Which would you rather... pay a fee now to make the change or risk being turned away at the airport? Maybe find the cost of changing it first before deciding. 
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would get it changed if I were you
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Even if the name is accepted at your UK departure airport, it doesn't mean it will be accepted at the arrival airport.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all. I've written to the people who booked it for me asking if they can get it changed.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who actually provided the name as "Mike" in the first place?
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    la531983 said:
    My parents, many years ago.
    Oh, I see what you mean! The ticket was booked by a company organising a conference I am attending. It never occured to me to tell them, though if I was booking for someone else I hope I would check their correct passport name, especially if the name by which I know them looks like an abbreviation.
  • Squierel
    Squierel Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    In future bookings, it might be a good idea to double-check with attendees to ensure their passport names are accurately reflected, especially if there's any potential for confusion.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 2:00PM
    Options
    la531983 said:
    My parents, many years ago.
    Oh, I see what you mean! The ticket was booked by a company organising a conference I am attending. It never occured to me to tell them, though if I was booking for someone else I hope I would check their correct passport name, especially if the name by which I know them looks like an abbreviation.
    Well its their fault then, assuming you booked the conference under the first name Michael. Tell them to correct it, and pick up the tab for any name change fees in the process.

If you booked the conference under the name "Mike", then tbf its a bit 50/50, especially if this necessitated an airline ticket booking to attend
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    The ticket was booked by a company organising a conference I am attending. It never occured to me to tell them, though if I was booking for someone else I hope I would check their correct passport name, especially if the name by which I know them looks like an abbreviation.

I agree, it seems extreme incompetence for someone charged with booking flights for their seminar attendees not to realise that 'Mike' is an abbreviation.
    I suggest that you inform them that the name should be amended by them at their expense, or you will not be held responsible for being refused boarding at departure or return, inability to travel and attend, and if your attendance is vital the cost of a replacement ticket at the airport.
    Evolution, not revolution
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure