Help to choose new laptop

Options
Mrs_pbradley936
Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,570 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 8 May at 8:57PM in Techie Stuff
Hello everyone,

I would like some help in choosing a new laptop. It does not have to be small and light because I will rarely take it anywhere. In which case is a desktop better? I have not had a desktop for about 18 years. I want to have a laptop because I  want to stay with Microsoft. I don't want the cheapest but I don't want to pay a fortune.

If I was buying a car I would choose a Ford Focus because they are great value for money, anyone can fix them if they go wrong (but they never do) and they can handle luggage, shopping, pets and people.

I used to have Dell, then I had a Toshiba and lately have had HP.  I don't want to do gaming and want it for office work mainly.

Are there any good deals out there?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And your budget is...?
  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Refurbished HP EliteBook 840s can be had in the £300 to £800 range depending on how up-to-date you want the Intel CPU, RAM size and features such as built-in web cam.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don’t like working hunched over a laptop. I think desktops have much better ergonomics. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May at 9:27AM
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    I don’t like working hunched over a laptop. I think desktops have much better ergonomics. 
    Quite so, posture is important for long days at the screen.
    SO hybrid works, WFH uses the laptop on desk, has extra keyboard and mouse and main screen, at the office 1 or 2 days a week with similar accessories via a dock. The desktop ergonomics and a functionality that can also be popped in a bag when travelling. 
    I'm typing this from my bed listening to the radio with the laptop on my lap.

I've bought all my laptops refurbed for the past 10 years. More bang for your buck I reckon.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,570 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And your budget is...?
    Around £1000 if I have to go that far, but I don't know enough to know when I am paying for stuff I will never use/need.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And your budget is...?
    Around £1000 if I have to go that far, but I don't know enough to know when I am paying for stuff I will never use/need.
    What do you actually want to use it for? General surfing and YouTube viewing etc or memory and processor intensive data processing (or image processing).

What screen size? What are your data storage requirements (or do you store in the cloud).

Would a laptop that can be flipped into a large tablet be of any use? 

I bit more information on your requirements would be useful. 
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May at 11:52AM
    Options
    £200 second hand lenovo thinkpad or Dell latitiude can do the office work .

Do you really need to spend £1000?

P.S. My work set up is a Lenovo T14 + 27" screen + wireless keyboard & mouse + laptop stand...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback