Warm homes discount 2024

Options
I've been eligible for this in the past because I'm on a means tested benefit. This year not eligible because my housing association property " exceeds the government threshold set by Dept of Energy Security and Net Zero". My neighbour 2 doors down, got hers and we have identical flats? Can I do anything?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just because a neighbour received it, it doesn't mean you are entitled. If they are claiming the Guaranteed credit element of Pension Credit then they will automatically be entitled to it, regardless of the size and age of the property they live in. 

Very few working age people living in flats will be entitled to it now if, unless living in Scotland. 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Options
    fscottt said:
    I've been eligible for this in the past because I'm on a means tested benefit. This year not eligible because my housing association property " exceeds the government threshold set by Dept of Energy Security and Net Zero". My neighbour 2 doors down, got hers and we have identical flats? Can I do anything?
    You've left it quite late, the scheme closed on 31st March.

Just to check, which means-tested benefit do you claim?

Is your neighbour a pensioner?  If so she may have got it for receiving the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

If not and you do still want to investigate, firstly see if there's a discrepancy about size or age on the EPCs for yours and hers.
    https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate
    (Ignore the actual EPC rating, the data used to calculate the energy cost threshold are only size, age, and type of dwelling.)

Although if there is a discrepancy, I don't know how you proceed.  [Plus who's to say which of yours or hers would be the correct one?]

If there's not, then I don't know.  Unfortunately there are still mistakes happening in the system.
  • fscottt
    fscottt Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good points, the energy ratings are different. Thanks 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Options
    fscottt said:
    Good points, the energy ratings are different. Thanks 
    That's the main thing on EPCs that is actually irrelevant for the WHD. 
    They just go by age, type, and size of the property; the EPCs are just a handy source of that information.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback