Ryanair & Packages

Options
saunderd
saunderd Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi my query is about checking in an item that doesn’t fit in a usual suitcase due to length. It’s 125cm long but just about 20cm wide and deep.

I’m hoping to simply wrap & label it like a package, then check it in. How would I add this onto my booking? Would I just select a normal large 20kg size check in bag or do I need to do this differently?

Oversized baggage isn't showing on the table fees and I don't know if they go with combined measurements as it's not actually a huge item like a large suitcase just slightly longer than the 120cm x 120cm x 80 cm measurements they give for a 20kg check in bag (it won't even weigh close to that)

I have tried contacting Ryanair via FB Messenger and they are more useless than a chocolate teapot in giving a direct answer!

Thank you in advance 

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 11:00PM
    Options
    At over 4 feet long. Would be treated similar to sports equipment. You may well need to buy another seat.

Or pay a fee to put it in the hold

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

• saunderd
    Options
    Thank you yes I was asking about checking it in and what option I would choose to check it in - would I check a normal 20kg 'bag' or sports equipment?  It's not easy to work out and so they accept 'packages' in this way i'e it's not a bag?  I can't imagine they would accept it in the cabin hence not looking at that option.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    saunderd said:
    Thank you yes I was asking about checking it in and what option I would choose to check it in - would I check a normal 20kg 'bag' or sports equipment?  It's not easy to work out and so they accept 'packages' in this way i'e it's not a bag?  I can't imagine they would accept it in the cabin hence not looking at that option.
    Is it sports equipment?  I don't think the term 'package' will correspond to anything relating to checked in baggage, but perhaps worth clarifying what it actually is?
  • Hoenir
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    saunderd said:
     can't imagine they would accept it in the cabin hence not looking at that option.
    Then unlikely to be suitable through bagge handling. Needs to be shipped in a proper manner. 
  • saunderd
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    saunderd said:
    Is it sports equipment?  I don't think the term 'package' will correspond to anything relating to checked in baggage, but perhaps worth clarifying what it actually is?
    It's a set of blinds
  • saunderd
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    saunderd said:
     can't imagine they would accept it in the cabin hence not looking at that option.
    Then unlikely to be suitable through bagge handling. Needs to be shipped in a proper manner. 
    It's too long to go in the cabin - it's not the size of hand luggage but is the size of acceptable hold luggage
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you put it in a sports holdall, or pick up a hockey stick/golf/ski bag maybe? I travel with skis every year, but not done it on ryanair.
  • Hoenir
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    saunderd said:
    Hoenir said:
    saunderd said:
    It's too long to go in the cabin - it's not the size of hand luggage but is the size of acceptable hold luggage
    Hold luggage gets roughly treated. Not like a cargo plane. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback