RISHI SUNEK DID IT

Options
johnaka
johnaka Posts: 137 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 9 May at 10:06AM in Benefits & tax credits
exactly who will benefit this £1400 for us pensioners.
I get a full state pension plus a small private pension of which I pay roughly £40 a month in tax.
wife still working but retires at the end of August. we don't claim any kind of benefits ,don't know if I'm entitled any. no kids or dependent. nat ins ends with a 0.
so if I do get it should get some time next week if?

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May at 6:00PM
    Options
    What £1400? Have you got any official links (not youtube videos or Daily Mail rubbish) for what you refer to?
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May at 6:29PM
    Options
    It is Youtube rubbish.  The £1400 in question is the various COL etc payments made to eligible pensioners over the last year. And this thread title is one of the video titles complete with incorrectly spelled name.
  • johnaka
    johnaka Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    just as I thought.thanks.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately you do claim a benefit.  In the 2016 legislation they designated the state pension a benefit.  This, under the new legislation, gives the DWP the right to have your banks look into your accounts.  I thought that maybe due to our advanced years they think a lot of us are dead already & our families are pocketing the money.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    badmemory said:
    Unfortunately you do claim a benefit.  In the 2016 legislation they designated the state pension a benefit.  This, under the new legislation, gives the DWP the right to have your banks look into your accounts.  I thought that maybe due to our advanced years they think a lot of us are dead already & our families are pocketing the money.
    At the moment they do not have the right to look into a bank account unless they suspect fraud. There is a Bill that would change that, it's currently at the Report stage in the HoL.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 May at 10:06AM
    Options
    badmemory said:
    You may think that idea is ridiculous - but that sort of thing does happen.

The LGPS and other public sector pensions ( and very probably private pension schemes as well) do regular 'life checks' for pensioners over a certain age.  This is partly due to the number of cases in which granny's pension is paid into a joint account with another family member ("makes it easier for me to pay your bills, do your shopping gran!") then granny dies and the family member 'forgets' to inform the pension provider.

Back to the State pension, I suspect that this will only be used when means tested benefits, specifically pension credit (PC), are involved.  ie, checking that the savings limit for PC hasn't been breached.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure