🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Warranty

Options
Hey hoping someone can give me some advice ?  I purchased some bifold doors through a distributor for KORNICHE which where installed as part of an extension and signed off through building regs back in 2022.  Earlier this year I noticed an issue on one of the glass panels of what I though was condensation on the outside which appeared in the mornings and then generally disappeared later in the day ( south facing house ).  Recently I went to clean them and therefore wipe it away but it didn't go and turns out its in between the glass panels.  I had troubles with the distributor who are hit and miss with responding so contacted the manufacturer directly who spoke to me but said I did need to go back through the distributor who they contacted also. The replacement glass was sent quickly so can't complain. However its sitting in my garage.  I have reached back out to the distributor to ask how it will be fitted with the response we just sell not install and can reach out to companies local to me ( I would have to pay for ). Personally I don't think this is right ? I didn't break it nor can I change it. The manufacturer has admitted responsibility of faulty door so why should I have to pay to get it replaced by someone ?  I will go down small claims court if I need too and have alerted the distributor of this but just wanted any advice on this ?

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You go back to who installed the doors. They should do it.

if you check the warranty, I would imagine that they only cover parts & not labour.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,180 Forumite
    Options
    alibabs27 said:
    Hey hoping someone can give me some advice ?  I purchased some bifold doors through a distributor for KORNICHE which where installed as part of an extension and signed off through building regs back in 2022.  Earlier this year I noticed an issue on one of the glass panels of what I though was condensation on the outside which appeared in the mornings and then generally disappeared later in the day ( south facing house ).  Recently I went to clean them and therefore wipe it away but it didn't go and turns out its in between the glass panels.  I had troubles with the distributor who are hit and miss with responding so contacted the manufacturer directly who spoke to me but said I did need to go back through the distributor who they contacted also. The replacement glass was sent quickly so can't complain. However its sitting in my garage.  I have reached back out to the distributor to ask how it will be fitted with the response we just sell not install and can reach out to companies local to me ( I would have to pay for ). Personally I don't think this is right ? I didn't break it nor can I change it. The manufacturer has admitted responsibility of faulty door so why should I have to pay to get it replaced by someone ?  I will go down small claims court if I need too and have alerted the distributor of this but just wanted any advice on this ?
    Because that's probably what the warranty provides for and they're probably treating this as a warranty claim.  Have you read it to check?  I assume you were actually the purchaser, and that you didn't pay your builder to supply and fit?  

Why don't you get in touch with the people that fitted it in the first place?  Or a local glazing company.  It sounds like a straightforward change of a blown glazed unit.  It's probably a 15 minute job for two people.  If you think you have a legitimate consumer rights claim for the cost of fitting then that's the time to be speaking to the distributor about them covering the cost.
  • alibabs27
    alibabs27 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I bought the units from the distributor as you can't buy from the manufacturer directly. My builder installed them. Its not a problem with the installation as that's ok, its a problem with the product as its in-between the glass panes.  The builder installed a complete product and did not fit the glass into the door itself so not their issue. I have to try and find the warranty itself, I just don't agree its right if their product failed why I should have to absorb ANY cost to resolve it ? I didn't buy the faulty product in the first place and these doors cost thousands not a cheap product.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    alibabs27 said:
    I bought the units from the distributor as you can't buy from the manufacturer directly. My builder installed them. Its not a problem with the installation as that's ok, its a problem with the product as its in-between the glass panes.  The builder installed a complete product and did not fit the glass into the door itself so not their issue. I have to try and find the warranty itself, I just don't agree its right if their product failed why I should have to absorb ANY cost to resolve it ? I didn't buy the faulty product in the first place and these doors cost thousands not a cheap product.
    Take them (the distributor) to court for the cost or replacing the glazed unit, then.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Contact a local glazier, the cost to take the old unit out and install the replacement will be minimal. 
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Contact a local glazier, the cost to take the old unit out and install the replacement will be minimal. 
    It's what I would do, but I suspect the P word is hovering about here.
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Apologies for my ignorance and/or naivety, but what is the "P word"?

I think you've referred to it before and I couldn't work out what it was.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Okell said:

Principles
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Okell said:

Sorry, yes, it's principle.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport