Traveling in to and around Paris

Options
I have tried looking on Google but the info seemed disjoined so thought I ask here.

We will be going to Paris for three nights soon.

We are a family of 4. Two adults and two kids(6yo and 9yo). Kids have UK recognised disability (ASD).

We will be flying to and from Orly airport and staying in Novotel St Denis.

Can anyone advice on the most cost efficient public transport option for us eg. types of travel cards needed etc.?

Many thanks

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This site
    gives travel options in and around Paris.

Are you going during the Olympics - fares will be different then?

With four of you and luggage you may prefer to go by taxi although it's not a short journey as you are going to the other side of Paris.

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Flying into CDG would have possibly been more sensible, given where you are going to.
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Costs are important thats why the airport and hotel were chosen. Not interested spending hundresds for taxies.
  • LeeKaz
    LeeKaz Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Download the Paris RATP travel app - it’s really easy to use and saves you looking for maps on walls all the time. 

I went recently for 3 days - we didn’t buy the 3 day Paris Visite card this time as realised I’d need to do about 5 metro journeys a day to make it worth while. We ended up getting a one day pass and paid as we went the following 2 days.

Orly airport is in zone 4 so you’d need the zone 1-5 travel pass or zone 4 ticket to cover it. I’m sure there will be an airport bus into the centre that you can get which is a lot cheaper than getting the train in.
  • auntiestablishment
    Options
    Definitely catch the airport shuttle, much easier than trains with kids and luggage, and cheaper too. We always buy a "carnet" of 10 tickets at a time. You can use them on buses, trains and metro (although check zones). We find them more cost-effective than travel cards because lots of attractions in Paris are very walkable, even with young kids.Make sure all your wallets and phones are very well tucked away - Paris is a nightmare for pickpockets!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback