🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Which Dulux paint type?

Options
danrv
danrv Posts: 1,446 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi
I'm about to paint my corridor type hallway in Dulux Natural Hessian.
I've used the Easycare Kitchen version which is good and would probably do here too.
Has a slight sheen which is fine and feels scratch resistant.
Have used the retail Walls & Ceilings Matt but would like the paint a little more durable.

Then there's the same colour in trade Vinyl Matt, three versions of Easycare plus Matt or Soft Sheen.
Quite happy with the retail version but wondering if there's much difference in the finished appearance with the different paint types.
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not just Dulux but they are a good example - I've learnt with decorating that retail isn't as good as trade. Trade might cost twice as much but coverage and opacity is better so is wear. Trade will stand diluting, will take tough cleaning once on. If you have a trade decorating shop near you it's fairly easy process to get a trades account and they often do a discount for signing up. Johnsons - a trade brand isn't quite as good as Dulux or Crown.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,655 Forumite
    Options
    Dulux easycare is available with a matt finish.
    So if you want a durable matt finish this is probably the way to go.

Regarding trade paint, it is better than retail paint, but I am not sure it is really worth the cost for a homeowner just doing a couple of coats of emulsion. For a decorator it is different as they can get the job done quicker with trade paint, and for them time is money. For sure it can be argued either way.

On the other hand I found trade satinwood went on dark and old gloss woodwork more smoothly than standard wood paint. Although being an MSE sort of person I used Wickes trade paint, as I baulked at the price of Dulux trade !
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trade paint is really worth the extra money. It goes on easier, gives a better finish and is more durable. Dulux diamond matt is the trade version of the easy care paint. 

If you have a dulux trade shop near you, ask for a discount. If they aren't budging, buy online from the paint shed. They'll mix any brand to any colour.

Crown Trade is a good cheaper alternative to dulux. I use their extreme clean scrubbable matt and The paint shed will mix to F&B colours for me. It's usually around £30 cheaper than Dulux for a 5l can.
  • danrv
    edited 9 May at 12:39PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Views from both sides there. Yes, I'm a homeowner doing a couple of coats of emulsion as mentioned.
    Have always used branded retail from the sheds as it's easy, good value and better than own brand paint.

My local building supplies has Dulux Trade for around £40 for 2.5L. 
    Too expensive for a tin of paint but I could open an account with them and maybe get a discount.
    I normally only buy in 2.5L amounts to avoid too much leftover. A bit of coverage calculation might help and save a bit.
  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 May at 5:54PM
    Options
    danrv said:
    /
    Too expensive for a tin of paint but I could open an account with them and maybe get a discount.
    I normally only buy in 2.5L amounts to avoid too much leftover. A bit of coverage calculation might help and save a bit.
    For my recent decorating a room used 5 litres, I can buy a tin for about £60.

• danrv
    Options
    kempiejon said:
    danrv said:
    /
    For my recent decorating a room used 5 litres, I can buy a tin for about £60.

Yes. I used 5L for my 4x3.5m living room so 
    kind of basing the quantity on that.
    I've bought 5L of Dulux Easycare Matt for £42 to do the hallway and stairwell.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure