Some Loose Ends on Redundancy

Options
Hi All,

At the beginning of March I got notified that my job was at risk and in April was told it was being removed. I have not yet been given an exact leaving date with my company as there are a number of redundancies happening and it is difficult to get a response, however, I have some queries that I was hoping I could get help with.

1. We are getting one month for each year of service. I have been told my exit date will be in the middle of June, however, I joined the company in July so that will leave me just a few days short of getting the one-month redundancy. Is there anything that can be done to try and secure this such as with unspent holidays etc? Due to the uncertainty, I have not taken any leave in 2024 and I have my full allocation.

2. As part of the redundancy process I was told I could apply for some internal roles. If I was successful (and nothing has happened yet) and I got one of these roles, if it did not work out or appeared a poor fit after 2-3 weeks, can I still take the redundancy? 

3. What other practical things should I be doing now? I am applying for roles both internally and externally but not too much has happened thus far.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 2:50PM
    Options
    1. What does your contract state? Mines is full years only. It sounds like yours might be the same. 

2. Unless you get it agreed in writing that you'll still get your redundancy if the 2-3 week trial period does not work for you (or your employer), you'd effectively be resigning at that point and would not legally be due any redundancy.

3. You said you joined the company in July. Was that "a July" or "July last year" because there's different rules for those with less than 2 years service. Have you confirmed you'd actually get 1 month salary even if you had been there for just a full year?

• newbieni
    newbieni Posts: 101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. What does your contract state? Mine full years only. It sounds like your might be the same. 

Fully years but I wondered if there was any wriggle room with unspent holidays?

2. Unless you get it agreed in writing that you'll still get your redundancy if the 2-3 week trial period does not work for you (or your employer), you'd effectively be resigning at that point and would not legally be due any redundancy.

Thank you for this.

3. You said you joined the company in July. Was that "a July" or "July last year" because there's different rules for those with less than 2 years service. Have you confirmed you'd actually get 1 month salary even if you had been there for a full year?

July 2020.

Answers above.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

1. What does your contract state? Mine full years only. It sounds like your might be the same. 

Fully years but I wondered if there was any wriggle room with unspent holidays?

Thank you for this.

3. You said you joined the company in July. Was that "a July" or "July last year" because there's different rules for those with less than 2 years service. Have you confirmed you'd actually get 1 month salary even if you had been there for a full year?

July 2020.

Answers above.

1 - you'll need to ask about the holidays you haven't taken.  They might extend your years of service or they might simply pay you for the actual holidays.  My last redundancy we had pro-rata years which I think accounted for excess weeks over the last full year but I know that not all companies are that generous.  

2 - they should make it completely clear about trial periods in an internal move.  Last employer (4 redundancy rounds in 14+ years) specified that you had 8 weeks to decide if you wanted the job, likewise the manager had 8 weeks before having to accept or reject you.  So if you discovered the new manager was a nightmare and you hated the work after 6 weeks you could say no and walk away.  I can't remember for sure but I think this time was then added to your years of service - something else to consider perhaps??

3 - other practical things. 
    • Well you're polishing your cv but are they offering any job hunting workshops that you could take? 
    •  What about outlining the other things that happen when a group of people are being made redundant?  
    • Giving you up to date info on your pension?  
    • What happens with any other benefits?  
    • Do you have a share save or share purchase scheme and if so what are the rules for redundancy?  (this can be a money maker if handled properly).  
    • Do you have a company car or bought anything through salary sacrifice?  
    • Any WFH kit?  What's the rules on that?  Likely a laptop would need to be returned but not an office chair.
    • Any rules on not contacting customers or competitors?
    • Who do you know that left the company in the last year and got a prize job? Talk to them!
    • Have you talked to your manager or others in the company that you know and trust about any opportunities are about?  Time to network!
    • Consider if this is the time to move into something different or somewhere different. 
    • Do they have retraining grants?
    Try to stay positive - you sound like you have a good attitude and that will get you further than a lot of other attributes.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback