A lock with a SIM card to open via Internet?

Options
My friend moved abroad and wants to sell his house without spending money on agencies. For that he wants to install a smart lock which he will open remotely over Internet for unattended viewers.
What locks with a 3G SIM card are available on the market and which ones would you recommend? There will be no mains power, so WiFi is not an option.

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd agree with the above - it's got to be worth paying an agent to take care of things.  There's so many potential pitfalls of allowing unattended and unvetted people to roam freely around the house.
    I mean, a far simpler option to the actual question would be just one of those key-safe things that you fix to the wall, and give the code to whoever you want to have access.  Very common on holiday lets, for instance.
    But really, in this situation it's got to be worth paying an agent to care of everything.

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    can imagine a  keen buyer turning up and somehow your friend  can't make the lock work remotely and the buyer gets fed up and wanders off - just get an agent
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    Options
    What locks with a 3G SIM card are available on the market and which ones would you recommend? There will be no mains power, so WiFi is not an option.
    What will power the lock and phone circuitry if no mains? 

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What will power the lock and phone circuitry if no mains? 

Batteries of course. But these go flat and need replacing/recharging on a regular basis. The other thing to consider is failures - Should the lock fail (or the battery goes flat), does it default to locked or unlocked - If the former, how do you get in to fix the darned thing.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    Options
    Why 3G, given that the 3G network is rapidly being turned off across the country?
    2G will be around for a few more years, as will 4G and 5G.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,643 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As others say, spend the money on an agent.
    Or, you're his friend, could you handle the viewings on his behalf if he covers any costs you incur?
    How does he envisage handling the sale from abroad without an agent, if someone is genuinely interested?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He's taking a bit of a risk not going with an agent. They don't just take a few photos and show people round your house. They also check that the buyer can actually proceed with purchasing your property and work to keep the chain going, and probably other stuff behind the scenes. I'm currently selling my house and the EA fees are the one cost I'm least bothered about. 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    So they walk in and take up residence?
    Or take what they like.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• QQQ
    QQQ Posts: 384 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They don't just take a few photos and show people round your house. They also check that the buyer can actually proceed with purchasing your property and work to keep the chain going, and probably other stuff behind the scenes.
    This is what agents would want you to think about them. Just pop into any agents' office and say you want to see this and that house. They will take you to those houses without checking your ability to pay or credit history.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback