Private Pensions Advice

Options
Hello
My husband has several small private pensions from various employments - I can't imagine they are worth very much.  Is it worth combining them all before claiming?
I've no idea on this so any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May at 2:21PM
    Options
    It might not be worth combining them. Doing so might incur higher charges, as the employer often picks up the bulk of the platform fees for private pensions arranged through them. 

If he wants to ensure that none get lost or forgotten about, he just needs to make a list and keep it with his Will.

It's probably worth reviewing how each pension is performing and that they are invested in the right place. He can do this with each pension in turn. If he finds he can't invest in what he thinks is the best way due to limitations with the pension, this might be a reason to move some of them. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't imagine they are worth very much.  Is it worth combining them all before claiming?
    Imagining what their worth is doesn't achieve anything.   Knowing what their worth is does.  So, before you consider anything, you need to know what they are worth and the terms of each.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 2:23PM
    Options
    My wife had a works pension from years ago that she could not imaging was worth a lot. She was only worked there for a couple of years and neither she nor her employer directly contributed anything towards it (it was contracted out contributions only). All she had was the policy document from Windsor Life, in her maiden name, at an old address.

I finally managed to convince her to find time to track it down and provide the documentation to take ownership of it. It's now worth £9K.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    First thing to do is contact each and every company and get a benefit statement.  This should give ooddles of info about what type of pension (defined benefit or defined contribution), what they are worth now, what they might be worth at normal retirement age, what is the normal retirement age, whether they can be transferred perhaps.

Once he's got that info I'd divide them up between DB (can't be transferred) and DC (could be transferred) and list them on a spreadsheet with current value, what they will pay and when they will pay it.  Add to that info on his state pension from his forecast on the gov.uk site.  That at least will give him something to think about and decide on the next steps.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DB (can't be transferred) and DC (could be transferred

More nuanced than this.

Assuming that your husband has not yet reached SPA, as suggested above, he should check his forecast.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Is he currently over age 55?

Then, as also suggested, take a sheet of paper and list the pensions.

Note whether each one is DB or DC (or just possibly a hybrid of both).

Check value of each.

If DB, check normal scheme pension age.

If DC, check for any "safeguarded benefits" ( any kind of underpin or Guaranteed Annuity Rate).

If he is currently contributing to a pension scheme, would a transfer in be accepted?

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    First thing to do is contact each and every company and get a benefit statement.  This should give ooddles of info about what type of pension (defined benefit or defined contribution), what they are worth now, what they might be worth at normal retirement age, what is the normal retirement age, whether they can be transferred perhaps.

Once he's got that info I'd divide them up between DB (can't be transferred) and DC (could be transferred) and list them on a spreadsheet with current value, what they will pay and when they will pay it.  Add to that info on his state pension from his forecast on the gov.uk site.  That at least will give him something to think about and decide on the next steps.

And include his current works pension as well as that will obviously add to the mix.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice.  He is now retired (age 59) and receives a pension, paid since age 55, it's the other ones we are unsure about.  He has checked his SPA forecast and he has all the years he needs (as do I) for a full state pension, it says something like he can't get any more.
    Cheers
    Ms Choc
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback