IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Blue badge - private parking

Options
keith6920
keith6920 Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi all, 

Quick question.

I visited a gym today that is in a large mill and parked in a disabled bay (with a valid blude badge).

When I came out I was confronted by someone who approached my car that the disabled bays were for his business only and 'he was the land owner' it was agreed by the gym I had to park further away. 

When I mentioned that I have a valid badge and a disability was told 'not my problem' and to park elsewhere next time. 

Is this legal? 

There are signs stating that the spaces are for the business only, but then seperate signs for blue badge holders. 

The parking he's suggesting I use is a good 5 minute walk, which defeats the purpose of the disability bay located outside the door. 

Anyone with more knowledge and suggestions as I'll be going once a week for physio, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Sad__Sam
    Sad__Sam Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you check the blue badge book, it covers the areas you can and cannot park.
    Namely public areas, not private.

A deeper dive into planning may reveal how the business received planning, ie allowance for disabled parking. 
    Ultimately his land.

I have a Blue Badge, can I park in your driveway - NO
    If you have a disabled parking bay outside your house, on the main road, can I park there, YES, while displaying my badge.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Blue badge on private land is not a free for all as it is on the highway, in fact on private land a blue badge has no dispensations as it does on the highway. You were not visiting his business so you had no right to use his disabled spaces, you should have used the disabled space provided by the business you were visiting.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the disabled bay was for a business other than the gym then you shouldn't be using it for the gym. In that case I'd be talking to the gym about making some provisions available - does the gym have any parking?
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If somebody came to visit your neighbour, parked in your parking space, and said "But I've got a blue badge", would you let them use it?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If somebody came to visit your neighbour, parked in your parking space, and said "But I've got a blue badge", would you let them use it?

You may not have any choice in the matter, given section 54 of the Protection of Freedoma Act.  Assuming England here as the law is different in Scotland.  I don't know about Wales or Northern Ireland.

You're not allowed to clamp somebody's car, or tow it away, or deliberately block it in.  And you can only send them a penalty charge if you're a member of a recognised scheme and have all the right signs up.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    You may not have any choice in the matter, given section 54 of the Protection of Freedoma Act.  Assuming England here as the law is different in Scotland.  I don't know about Wales or Northern Ireland.

You're not allowed to clamp somebody's car, or tow it away, or deliberately block it in.  And you can only send them a penalty charge if you're a member of a recognised scheme and have all the right signs up.
    There is, of course, a world of difference between the business owner coming out and telling you not to park there - and them being able to enforce it legally.

But you're right, the legal options available to landowners to stop the entitled abusing their parking are incredibly limited.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This thread has been moved from the Motoring Board.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ectophile said:

There is, of course, a world of difference between the business owner coming out and telling you not to park there - and them being able to enforce it legally.

But you're right, the legal options available to landowners to stop the entitled abusing their parking are incredibly limited.
    Which is a very very good thing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe have a word with the gym owners and the business where you parked and ask them to put signs or paint on the tarmac where the various blue badge sections are for each business.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback