🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Selling car with clutch problem

Options
marinheiro
marinheiro Posts: 21 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am emigrating and need to sell my car, a 2006 Fiat Panda with 80k miles on the clock. Generally it runs fine since I only use it for very short distances, but after driving for half an hour or so the clutch starts squeaking, and eventually starts to stick. This doesn't show up in MOTs so its not an MOT failure (of course it ought to be).

The problem is that I have already tried to get the clutch fixed. I paid quite a bit for it, and the problem returned soon after the 'fix'. I had so little trust in the garage that did it I wrote off the expense as a loss rather than going back to them and ending up with even more bills. So, even though I know I would get more for the car without the fault I will probably need to sell it 'as is' rather than risk wasting even more money.

Any advice on how to sell it? I will not sell it without mentioning the fault to the buyer. Or should I just scrap it?

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, the car can't be worth megabucks, so it's a question whether it's econimically viable for the buyer to have it repaired (or they can do it themselves).
    Disclosing the issue is a decent, honest thing to do!
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just advertise it with squeaky clutch, and it will sell, but don't knock £500 off to fix it, as it is a well known fault on the MK3 panda, caused by the cheap plastic slave cylinder wearing out. A new one is cheap (because they fail so often) and easy to fit.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure