Trouble opening Zopa account

Options
Zopa won't let me open an account - because I already have one!

Many years ago I had a Zopa account, finished with it, thought it was closed. Now I want to open an ISA with Zopa. Went to register for an account, Zopa said I appear to already have an account, please log in, if you don't remember the password click 'forgotten password' and we'll send you a password reset link by e-mail. Clicked 'forgotten password', entered my e-mail address for the link, never received the e-mail. Tried again. Still no joy. Tried Zopa's chat, they advised I would have to send a copy of my passport to their document support team, did that, got a reply:
---------------------
Thanks for getting in touch. Before I can help, we just need to run through security. Could you reply to this email with your:

• email address
I look forward to hearing back from you.
---------------------
Unbelievable - they sent me an e-mail to ask for my e-mail address!

I've since sent them my e-mail address - and the two old obsolete e-mail addresses I once used in case they have those on file. Haven't heard back.

Is this experience common? Should I persevere since Zopa seems to be recommended here and by Which? Has anyone else had similar trouble and was the issue resolved?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt it's a common issue - most people would simply log in to their existing accounts.

I have a Zopa account. I remember nothing about the sign up process which indicates it was pretty faultless.
  • JoeyMudflats
    JoeyMudflats Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Update: After a week I hadn't heard back from Zopa. Phoned them. Operative updated my e-mail address on their records and announced all would be well. I logged in and changed the password. Message said my account was suspended. Zopa e-mailed, said the passport image I sent was no good. Sent it again although there was really nothing wrong with the first one I sent. They e-mailed again, wanting full set of security questions answered. Sent reply. They e-mailed, my account is un-suspended and I should be able to log in. Logged in, the site wanted me to set up 2 factor authentication. Did that. Had to re-login, message said a code has been sent to my phone. Haven't received the code! Why am I bothering to persevere? There are other banks with good interest rates.
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 9 May at 6:53PM
    Options
    Why am I bothering to persevere? There are other banks with good interest rates.
    A good rule I've discovered. If you're trying to give a company your money, and they put up too many roadblocks, then take the hint :)

Shop elsewhere. Bank elsewhere. It saves you putting in lots of effort that THEY won't appreciate, and will only open you up to more bad service further down the line.
  • JoeyMudflats
    JoeyMudflats Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    mikb said:
     If you're trying to give a company your money, and they put up too many roadblocks, then take the hint :)

I'm taking the hint. I finally got through the tortuous process of reactivating my account. Now I find I can only open the savings account I'm interested using the mobile app, not the website from a PC. The 2 factor authorisation I was encouraged to set up now says it's sending my phone a code that I need to type in. But when I'm logging in from the app I never get the code, so can't log in. Logging in from a laptop browser works but I can't open the savings account!

It beggars belief.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure