🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Impossible system

Options
The system is impossible - if you click button to pay voluntary Class 2 NIcs after you send your tax return there is then no option to pay it. The phone lines have been blocked for 3 years now and if you write to them they do not send you this 18 digit number which you need if want to make a payment. Disgraceful system.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was able to top up my wife's state pension without having to call anyone.

Worked out which years we needed to pay via Personal Tax account, Then just sent them a cheque with a covering letter
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,515 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 10:39AM
    Options
    I was able to top up my wife's state pension without having to call anyone.

Worked out which years we needed to pay via Personal Tax account, Then just sent them a cheque with a covering letter
    What details did you provide on the covering letter? I read elsewhere that providing your NI number worked for someone.

How long was there between sending the cheque and it being cashed/applied to your account?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,772 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I submitted my 2022/3 tax return last October. and paid what I was told was due immediately.

Then very quickly I realised I had not been charged any NI and upon researching that was because my self employed earnings had dropped just below the theshold where i had to pay it.  So I went and ammended my tax return and there was still the option to pay voluntary class 2, so I ticked that.  It re calculated and I then went and paid the additional that was now due straight away.

Now all i have to do is get that NI paid to show on my NI record.  A problem which a lot seem to be having and one poster on a different thread was told it is only a problem with the 2022/3 tax year.

But you are quite right, the system is broken, and I have been trying since the start of this year to get the NI I have paid to show on my NI record for that year.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,772 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you very much.  Looks like I might have to phone again if none of my previous calls letters or on line chats fails to resolve it.

One slight change, last time I looked I had a pending refund waiting to be claimed on my tax account.  When I checked just now, there is no refund pending.  So just a glimmer of hope that one of my many requests might have actually done something.  But nothing yet showing on my NI record yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure