Latest Generation Car Models & forgotten Petrol Versions?

Options
RULAST
RULAST Posts: 49 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 May at 9:47AM in Motoring
Latest generation and new superminis/small cars seem to all be marketed as hybrid this or EV that etc.
Not only do they have better infotainment but also evolved and better features versus previous models BUT which manufacturers still offering Petrol only Versions (not hybrid related) as well as sister EV or HEV variants. I can't seem to justify the additional purchase price of these variants with miles I do for my annual potter round and a couple of motorway trips per year. 
So any thoughts on what brand/model in Petrol version might be a good option and near new or up to 4 years old?. No sure if used also possible as a PCP with dealer etc?
Thanks

Comments

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Renault Clio has a pure petrol only version along with a full HEV.
    Nice car but a little pricey. The TCE 90 engine has been around for a while, it's cam chain and pretty hardy.

The Vauxhall Corsa is available in petrol, HEV and electric version.
    Prices have crept up recently, but then again all seem to have.
    I think most have the same wet belt engine as their sister cars from Peugeot that can have serious issues.

The Dacia Sandero is all petrol.
    Not a bad option as it's all the latest Clio under the skin including the engines.
    They tend to hold their value pretty well and owners tend to love them.

The old MG3 was pure petrol (the new one is HEV only at the moment) and I know they are still trying to move the last of the old one on. I think someone in my office was offered a new one for £13,000 this week. Cheap but very dated in the mechanicals.

You might find a bargain Suzuki Swift.
    They've just launched a new model (that looks exactly like the old). I reckon some dealers will have the last one still in stock though I think they are mainly mild hybrids.

The Skoda Fabia are straight petrols along with the Seat Ibiza.
    Again they've moved up the price bracket in recent years, but they are generally cheaper than a VW Polo even though they all share the same running gear. 

Dealers will do PCP on some later used cars but the deals tend to be very expensive as they attract a higher rate of interest.
    You also tend to move out of the warranty period while paying them off, so can end up with monthly payments and repair bills.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can filter by fuel on Autotrader.

Looking now, there are 232,000 petrol cars, 139,000 diesel cars, 53,000 hybrids and 23,000 electric.

If we restrict that to <4yo, then there's 86k petrol, 26k diesel, 21k battery, and 43k hybrid.

So, yeh, still plenty of choice...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure