Benefits and mortgage

Options
My partner and I recently split. 
We have a mortgage together and children. 

So for that reason we are not selling the house right now as I am not working. 

Can I claim any benefits if my partner is still down on the mortgage? Not sure how it all works. 

He hasn't moved out yet either not sure if that affects it. But he will in the future once we can figure it out financially.  

Can i claim benefits while he still lives here and on the mortgage? 

Or once he moves out can I claim anything but again will still be on the mortgage. 
Thank you 

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is he working?

If you are "living" in the same household then you are treated as joint - otherwise everyone would do it!

Once he has moved out, then you may be able to claim - will depend on the financial settlement of the divorce - best get that sorted asap.
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 10:30AM
    Options
    It is possible to claim as a single person even though you're the still living in the same house but I would expect some probing questions on your living, sleeping and financial arrangements to prove you are genuinely separated before this is accepted.
    Under UC everyone is a job seeker unless they have health priblems or caring responsibilities. The age of your children will determine whether and how much you are expected to work/look for work.

Being on a mortgage shouldn't have any impact.

Any UC you may qualify for will be down to your specific circumstances.

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May at 11:25AM
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    Is he working?

If you are "living" in the same household then you are treated as joint - otherwise everyone would do it!

Once he has moved out, then you may be able to claim - will depend on the financial settlement of the divorce - best get that sorted asap.
    As above.. it is possible in cases of a relationship (including marital) breakdown to claim singularly - persuading the DWP may be challenging. It's not always easy or practical for splitting couples to find suitable separate accommodation particularly in the short term. In cases of domestic violence (not suggesting that is relevant here but there will be many cases) it is advised to request splitting of claim prior to contact due to the ability of claimants to read linked claimant correspondence and the potential for that to result in harm.

Everybody would not do it because not everybody commits fraud in saying that they're no longer with their partner when they actually are.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback