🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Personal Load or 0% Purchase credit card

Options
I am at the end of my PCP contract for my car and it's now time to pay the final payment and keep the car. I've been debating if it will be wise to pay the lumpsum of 12k through personal loan or should I take out a 0% purchase credit card. I have been saving for this and it's not availablily of funds but rather making them stretch. Now with the borrowing interest on personal loans around 7% is it even worth saving? on the other hand, Will a purchase credit card allow for such a large sum? Pls help?

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you take out via credit card - how long are you expecting to pay for? the 0% are usually for a short period of time - 12 months, then they go up to silly %
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will not be able to pay a loan with a credit card even if you a) get such a high limit and b) the dealer would accept it (which they won't due to the fees on a 12k payment). You would need a money transfer card and are unlikely to get a card with a limit that high and as above, they're usually 12 months or so.

A loan will be judged on whether you can pay the 12k loan AND the 12k PCP as no guarantee you will use the loan for the PCP - you could just spend it on a holiday for example.

It would be wiser for you to stick to your original plan to pay off the 12k from the money you put aside for this purpose back when you took the PCP out. You can then rebuild your savings after using the money you're not putting on PCP
  • easyasonetwothree
    easyasonetwothree Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My guess is that the interest on a potential loan will be higher than the interest you're gaining on the 12k savings, so I wouldn't go with the loan.

I think the 0% purchase card would be a good idea if, a) the final payment can definitely be paid by card (check with your dealer), and b) you get a limit high enough. £12k + is realistic for some, especially if you have a good track record with the bank you're applying to. Some banks will ask what limit you want. I recently got the £8k I asked for with Lloyds, but I'm unsure if they would have given more if I'd asked for it or not.

You may be able to do a part payment if your limit isn't high enough, check with the dealer. 
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I think the 0% purchase card would be a good idea
    The big issue will be that, even if the finance company will allow payment to be made by credit card, it will almost certainly be classed as a "cash-like" transaction by the credit card company.  Which means you'd be charged a cash advance fee, and you'd also pay interest until it's all repaid (cash advances wouldn't qualify for the 0% promotional rate).
    OP, you'd need to check the interest rates you're being offered for a loan, but I'd be willing to bet that any loan will charge a higher APR than what you're getting on your savings.
    By far the best approach will be to use your savings to pay the balloon payment, then rebuild your savings by making a monthly payment equal to what you were paying on the PCP (or what you would be paying if you were to take out a loan).

• ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree with the others about using savings

But it seems likely that the car finance started before Jan 202. If it did, don't forget to see if you were charged secret discretionary commission on it, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/reclaim-car-finance/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure