E-on Direct Debit

Options
ajc269
ajc269 Posts: 6 Forumite
First Post
In April, E-on raised my Dircet Debit by £7 per month in spite of energy prices going down and being over £150 in credit at t he end of the winter. Extortion to borrow customers money for free.

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May at 8:38AM
    Options
    Have you tried changing it in your account portal and are your meter readings up to date?
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you not reduce the DD by £7 in your online account if you feel the change isn’t needed?
    Moo…
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ajc269 said:
    In April, E-on raised my Dircet Debit by £7 per month in spite of energy prices going down and being over £150 in credit at t he end of the winter. Extortion to borrow customers money for free.
    Surely the time it took you to moan about this, you could have gone onto your online account & changed it back. It’s not a huge issue is it? 
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    edited 8 May at 9:06AM
    Options
    With a smaller credit and a price reduction, EOn actually dropped my DD by 10%.  But from end of May.

Was that £150 based on true readings or estimates ?

My April to May bill actually increased my credit and would have even at new payment threshold - as expected to build credit going into next winter.

Calculate your own estimate of actual required direct debit to hit zero balance over 12m.

EOn will I suspect have sent you a price change summary and their bills also include an annual total projected cost.

Or take annual consumption kWh and current unit rates plus standing charges - themselves up c2p gas and c6p electric on ave - but as much as 14p in Northern iirc for electric (that 14p a day is £50pa).

Work out your true credit / debit as well as you can - again recent bill should be good enough as a guide.  But I would advise revising credit to current readings to get a more accurate figure.  Then simply

Required DD = (annual cost projection - true credit)/12.

So an actual credit reduces amount due (your £150 equiv if true balance equates to to £12.50  reduction per month), but a debit as effectively a negative balance would need an increase.

Plus say an allowance of 10% if basing on last 12 months usage as this winter saw record warm months like Feb in Eng, 2nd warmest in 140 years across UK.

My rolling last 12m is down over 10% on past five year kWh ave. Nearer 20% on 2018 which included beast from east, storm emma snow and mini beast from east weeks later.

If that's a lot less than new DD - phone them and be ready to give them current readings - and challenge the set amount, ask them to match your estimate - talking them through your calc if necessary.  Expect to have to speak to a supervisor if a big difference.

Or if within c10% iirc - as in credit - go to online account and simply reduce your DD manually.  Its been a while since I had to, but used to work.

• JohnSwift10
    JohnSwift10 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could pay by variable direct debit every month.

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    edited 8 May at 5:03PM
    Options
    As long as disciplined enough to bank excess in summer over billed amounts to pay higher bills in winter.

Many are not - and so financially squeezed - they literally live zero balance to zero balance, pay cheque to pay cheque monthly.
  • Kerreh
    Kerreh Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had the same - almost £400 in credit and wanting to adjust my DD upwards.
    I emailed them (there wasn't the option to decline the planned increase in the portal), explained forecast of it taking me until xx to reach zero and that's not my plan anyway as intend to adjust upwards in xxxx ahead of winter use.
    They said okay and left DD as it was - easy.

Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May at 12:20PM
    Options
    Eon are also dropping mine by £10 from next month (from £117 to £107) even though I'm only £60 in credit after my latest bill last week. They work it out based on your estimated usage for the coming year based on historical averages.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback