The rich get rich and the poor get poorer

Options
Nameisandy
Nameisandy Posts: 1 Newbie
First Anniversary
edited 8 May at 2:58PM in Benefits & tax credits
After marital breakdown and several years of waiting my local council rehoused me into an adapted property as I have very poor mobility so the house has a stairlift and  a level access shower which is ideal.

I am on benefits due to disability and I am in receipt of universal credit,Employment and support allowance and
after applying for a council tax discount I was refused even though I get the full rent entitlement.

They informed me that I had £22500 in savings because I own a 50% share of the ex marital home even though my estranged wife and my daughter now live in the property.

I have argued this for months and in the end have taken it to an independent tribunal.

Do you think I have a case…?

many thanks 
😊 

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    max 6k is it not? 
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May at 8:56AM
    Options
    Sorry to read your story.  Sorry but no. Look up the rules on gov.uk to confirm.
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-council-tax-discount

Be worth running the benefits calculator there also
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

- to see if there are any other benefits you are entitled to 

Rich getting richer and poor getting poorer is a basic part of capitalism in the UK.  Sorry.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien said:
    What are the plans with regards to your marriage? Because if divorce is on the cards then a financial settlement would need to be part of that And you and your ex would need to sort out a fair split of the assets, including the house. 

You are already housed and getting your rent paid which is a pretty good deal in the circumstances. . It’s not very fair on the taxpayer to pay your other costs when you should have your share of the equity which your ex-wife is currently sitting on. 

I’m not seeing the relevance of your title “as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer”  because as the part owner of the property you are not at the bottom of the ladder. 
    Perhaps they are one of the rich?

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many adults in the house?  If one you can claim single occupancy discount…dont think that is means tested.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    Options
    elsien said:
    What are the plans with regards to your marriage? Because if divorce is on the cards then a financial settlement would need to be part of that And you and your ex would need to sort out a fair split of the assets, including the house. 

You are already housed and getting your rent paid which is a pretty good deal in the circumstances. . It’s not very fair on the taxpayer to pay your other costs when you should have your share of the equity which your ex-wife is currently sitting on. 

I’m not seeing the relevance of your title “as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer”  because as the part owner of the property you are not at the bottom of the ladder. 
    Just wonder what the Op will do when UC stops due to savings in the above.

Life in the slow lane
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 6:47PM
    Options
    Would need more details but it sounds like you could have a case.

How did they come up with the £22500 capital?

If you ex refuses to sell /move out then it would take a court order for that to happen, this is expensive. As your daughter is also living there, if she is still as child then there would be next to zero chance of that happening as it would make them homeless. Even if she isn't a child it's still unlikely just so you could claim council tax reduction.

To work out capital in the property all this needs to be taken into account.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Options
    elsien said:

Just wonder what the Op will do when UC stops due to savings in the above.

If OP's ex counts as a lone parent then it can be disregarded for UC.

(I have no idea about CT support.)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,074 Forumite
    Options
    If you haven't reported this to UC then you will need to do that and leave it to a decision maker to disregard it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback