Bank of Scotland Text Alerts

Options
When do BOS notify you of "You’re about to use or have started using an unarranged overdraft."?
I have text alerts set up and have never received one of these messages despite having opted in. With Nationwide, if I have a payment due to leave on the 2nd of the month, around 7am on the 1st, I receive a message advising me of insufficient funds for an upcoming payment. In this same scenario, when would BOS notify me? I do top up the accounts the morning before payments are due so am unsure whether I'm just too efficient for BOS or the alerts are not working.

Comments

• Descrabled
    Descrabled Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May at 7:51AM
    Options
    LBG including BOS only provide text alerts after the account moves into overdraft. There is no prior warning provided as with Nationwide.
    So if the current account goes into overdraft by payment of a standing order or direct debit in the early hours then the text alert will be received mid morning saying that the account is overdrawn. This happens even if the account has by then been moved into credit.

Edit to change their into there.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1spiral said:
    When do BOS notify you of "You’re about to use or have started using an unarranged overdraft."?

I had one yesterday at about 7am -

"[redacted] You're using an unarranged overdraft. You have a payment due today. Please pay money in by 2.30pm or the payment may not be made."

That was for a DD and I hadn't got round to topping the account up in advance.  The phrasing suggests I'm in an unarranged overdraft already, even though the payment hasn't been/may not be made.

In the past BOS have confirmed that a temporary unarranged overdraft situation like this doesn't affect payment of credit interest if you have Vantage on the account.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May at 8:26AM
    Options
    Mine arrive around 7.30-8am each day. It gives you until 2.30pm to pay money in to clear any overdraft which works perfectly for me. I keep a virtually zero balance and move money in daily as needed.

If I schedule a payment to arrive the same day it will still trigger the overdraft warning as the payments out seem to be processed first.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • 1spiral
    1spiral Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all for the confirmations. They explain why I have never received one though it does rather beg the question of why they use the phrase "You’re about to use" when in fact they apply it after they use/attempt to use. I'll have to try letting one slip at a later date to ensure the text alert it is working OK. Thanks again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback