🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Water overflow

Options

Hi all,

I live in a block of flats (leaseholder - building completed six years ago). I have issues with water overflow from the flat above onto my balcony. It happens very often especially whenever there is heavy rain (for example, just the last 10 days it happened twice).

I have reported the situation numerous times to the building managing agents who say that this is normal building design. However, none of the other 60-odd flats have ever experienced such an issue.

I believe that the drains main pipe is blocked and any amount of water goes now directly through the overflowing pipe. Neither the managing agent nor the leaseholder of the flat above care to investigate and fix. Who is legally responsible and what action should I take?

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 8:10AM
    Options
    I guess it comes down to what the cause is - a blocked drain or a design 'flaw'. From what you say, it sounds like the former. If so, who is responsible?
    I would suggest that it comes down to where this blockage is occuring, and the cause.
    The Leaseholder of that flat - or their tenant if rented - is usually responsible for general levels of cleaning and maintenance that would include such things as unblocking drains, clearing out gutters, clearing gulleys, that sort of stuff, things that could lead to damage to the building if allowed to continue (eg, an overflowing gutter soaking the walls). So, if this is a blocked surface drain, then I suspect it'll be the leaseholder/tenant. At some point, tho', drains become shared and communal, and that then becomes the responsibility of the building Freeholder.
    Does your flat have a similar balcony? Can you figure out the most likely location, and cause, of the blockage?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure