PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting - credit check of new tenant

Options
deepam
deepam Posts: 120 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

My tenant is moving out and I have found a new tenant privately. I do not have an estate agent. Could I please have some advice

1. How can I credit check the new potential tenant?
2. Do all adults need a credit check or just the person responsible for paying the rent?

Thanks
Deepam

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is not just a question of credit, potential tenants should be fully referenced, eg https://www.rentguardtenantref.co.uk/
    All adult parties to the agreement should be referenced.
    You also need to do the mandatory right-to-rent checks ... https://www.gov.uk/check-tenant-right-to-rent-documents
  • deepam
    Options
    Thanks for the links.
    Any website you can suggest for credit check?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Start by checking the Insolvency Register. Not that entrance to. There means someone is unsuitable to be a tenant. Even bankrupts need a roof over their head. And you know they can't take out any more credit.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • deepam
    Options
    I want to get full credit check and referencing done. Any website/ company you can recommend that would do that?
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not advisable to let property without either rent guarantee insurance or a home owning guarantor in place. If you decide to take rent guarantee insurance the insurers will do the checks to make sure the applicants meet the insurance criteria.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,303 Forumite
    edited 8 May at 5:53PM
    Options
    deepam said:
    I want to get full credit check and referencing done. Any website/ company you can recommend that would do that?

The rentguard link I posted earlier, the full referencing includes credit check.
  • deepam
    edited 8 May at 8:23PM
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. 

I have been renting my flat for last 20 years. For last 5 years I have managed it myself. I had always used Connells as fully managed agents before that.
    Once it happened that my tenant stopped paying rent and tenant's guarantor who was a home owner parted himself with the tenant as though they dint know each other even though all parties had signed proper legal contracts. Connells ignored me as they lost their monthly income from me. I approached a lawyer and had section 21 against the tenant. This was few years ago.
    I learnt it hard way that none of these signed agreements/ guarantor etc are useful when you go to court. At that point most important thing on your mind is to get the tenant out and get your property back.

• pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Many agents will do all of what you require for an admin fee.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,450 Forumite
    Options
    Openrent are useful for this sort of thing.

https://www.openrent.co.uk/tenant-referencing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure