Pension options

Options
Hi,
My son has 8/9 small pensions with 5/6 providers after being auto-enrolled by previous employers.
He has now found a job which he will hopefully stay in for many years and will soon get auto-enrolled in their pension scheme.
My question is where is the best place to get advice about what to do about all the small pensions accrued from previous employment.
They don't add up to much, the total of the largest one is around £2k I think.
Has anyone else had a few jobs and ended up with several small pensions, what, if anything, did you do.
Thanks.

Comments

• Somebody
    Somebody Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have moved various pots to a current employer's plan before.
  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fella's new pension might allow transfers in? Of course his plans might change and he moves on. 
    I had 5 and collected 4 of them all together into a SIPP.  Makes the paperwork easier. I left one out because at the time I forgot about it. If one does start a SIPP then one needs to make a decisions about where to hold it, what it costs and then what too invest it in. One doesn't have too combine pensions, perhaps the son can take control work out what he has where and what it costs?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will his new workplace pension accept transfers in?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,
    My son has 8/9 small pensions with 5/6 providers after being auto-enrolled by previous employers.
    He has now found a job which he will hopefully stay in for many years and will soon get auto-enrolled in their pension scheme.
    My question is where is the best place to get advice about what to do about all the small pensions accrued from previous employment.
    They don't add up to much, the total of the largest one is around £2k I think.
    Has anyone else had a few jobs and ended up with several small pensions, what, if anything, did you do.
    Thanks.
    You will not be able to get professional advice about such smaller amounts.

However transferring such pensions is relatively easy and free. Probably easiest just to transfer them all in to the new employer pension if possible.
  • kempiejon
    Options
    A few people - me included offered the suggestion of combining with the new employer's pension. Things that would then matter are where would it be invested and what does it cost. You save admin bby having it all in one place but where are the other pensions invested and what are the charges?
    Good teachable moment for those not well versed in pensions wrangling. It was amongst my first steps towards taking control.
  • caledonian80
    caledonian80 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Somebody said:
    I have moved various pots to a current employer's plan before.
    Yes, I am aware that is a possibility, hopefully the new provider accepts transfers in.kempiejon said:
    A few people - me included offered the suggestion of combining with the new employer's pension. Things that would then matter are where would it be invested and what does it cost. You save admin bby having it all in one place but where are the other pensions invested and what are the charges?
    Good teachable moment for those not well versed in pensions wrangling. It was amongst my first steps towards taking control.
    I will have a look at the other pensions and their charges.
    I also wonder how common this is/is going to be as I think more and more people will have a few jobs in their working life in this day and age.
    Thanks for the replies so far.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also wonder how common this is/is going to be as I think more and more people will have a few jobs in their working life in this day and age.
    It's no more common than it has been for decades. It's been about 30 years since the days of job for life.    And since there are no exit or entry charges on the vast majority of pensions arranged since 2001 (notable exceptions apply) then its pretty easy to move them around.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • caledonian80
    caledonian80 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    It's no more common than it has been for decades. It's been about 30 years since the days of job for life.    And since there are no exit or entry charges on the vast majority of pensions arranged since 2001 (notable exceptions apply) then its pretty easy to move them around.

I see,
    In my small group of family and friends they have all been in jobs for many years, need to expand my circle 😄
    As I said above, I will have a look at the new pension provider and check the details.
    If there is anything I need to enquire about, is it okay to ask here?
    Thanks
  • kempiejon
    Options
    You may as well get the progeny to look into a SIPP too. One has more direct control, it can be cheaper and it's a good skill to be able to understand where your pension is invested, what charges are doing to returns and how it performs. Company pensions are generally OK but I found I could do improve choice and fee going self service.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I think there is some kind of government working party looking at the possibility of transporting your pension with you from job to job. However is easier said than done.

If there is anything I need to enquire about, is it okay to ask here?

We are at your service :smile:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure