Is this fake?

Options
Maz24
Maz24 Posts: 4 Newbie
First Anniversary First Post
I've had an email and text to say I've been incorrectly refunded by my energy company from October 2022 when I moved house. I'm still with the same energy company, I've called and emailed but no one ever responds to me. 
If this is a real request, why haven't they called me?
Why have they left it this long and why don't I have a request on my account.
Plus, if its a real request, do I have to pay it?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So you called... waited a long time in a queue and then they said...
  • Officer_Dibble
    Officer_Dibble Posts: 382 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...your call is important to us. Please hold.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was the email from a genuine domain used by your energy company?
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maz24 said:
    I've had an email and text to say I've been incorrectly refunded by my energy company from October 2022 when I moved house. I'm still with the same energy company, I've called and emailed but no one ever responds to me. 
    If this is a real request, why haven't they called me?
    Why have they left it this long and why don't I have a request on my account.
    Plus, if it’s a real request, do I have to pay it?

It depends. They’re unlikely to ring you, will just send an email. If, when you moved out of your old property, you were credited & refunded the EBSS when you no longer lived there then, yes, you were not entitled to it & will need to pay it back. 
    When did you move out & when did you get your final bill?
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, this sounds suspiciously like a scam to me, and even if it isn't it's good to check.

You can check it out by contacting your energy company using the contact details on their website rather than any details in a text or email. I'd suggest emailing your energy company using the contact details on their website or one of your bills saying that you are concerned that you've had some communication supposedly from them which you've tried unsuccessfully to respond to and think may be a scam. Could they check things out for you? Once you have a reply you can take things from there.

By far the most important thing to do is make sure any communication with someone wanting money from you is done in writing. This slows things down, gives you a chance to think and check with others. Good scammers always sound genuine on the phone.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 9:36AM
    Options
    Is this a failure to use correct final readings or more to do with say accidently being credited twice for EBSS £66/£67 per month.

Check your records - you should always retain them for non standard events - house move - meter changes etc - but if not check your online account.

If former back billing might apply.

But people have gotten recalcs months after initial final bills - but 18m plus a stretch.

There were a series of posts re claims for EBSS credit rebates etc being paid wrongly - the £66/£67 for 6m - £400 total. But again seems very late.

Contact your supplier using independent contact details from actual regular bills or their website - again as above not using links in text or email.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback