PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What a maze!

Options
We (husband and I) are hoping to retire in 5 years.  Mortgage will be paid off, and this is what we would like to do:

Buy/gift money for a small house in the UK for our 2 adult daughters.

Buy a property in Cyprus under the Golden Visa programme, we meet the income criteria after the recent hike, thankfully. Overall budget will be around £500k today’s money.  We will not be state retirement age, or very near it.

I’ve been reading up and there are obviously many ways to skin this particular cat.

My idea would be:

Sell the house, go into short term rented.  Gift money to kids to then pay for their purchase (would they be able to start the purchase process on the back of the expected money from us?  We would insist there are some controls written into it to protect them both individually and jointly. Budget for them would be around 200k.

Furniture into storage/given to kids/sold/freecycled
We would then head over to an AirBnb to work on our purchase, hopefully having already picked a place and locked in the rate.

Could a critical friend point out the flaws/tax trip hazards or any better ideas.  Thank you 🙏🏻 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,077 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A flaw is what happens when one of your kids wants to move out or move someone else in?

No tax on gifts in the UK, and it only becomes at risk of inheritance tax if your estate is large enough and you don’t last 7 years. If you put the property in the name of the kids, they lose their first time buyer status when they want to move out and buy a place of their own.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 9:39PM
    Options
    Finding short term rental is challenging and expensive. Golden visa schemes can be withdrawn with little notice, Portugal and Spain have just withdrawn theirs.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why not gift them a £100k each. Allow them to buy seperate properties. Rather than being tied together. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

We would insist there are some controls written into it to protect them both individually and jointly.

Like what, and how are you going to do that? They're grown-ups, are you expecting to retain some sort of control over the property?
  • bunnyfuller
    bunnyfuller Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Silver, we intend to make it so they can’t move other people in, they will need to sell at the point of wanting something different.

thanks again
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,687 Forumite
    edited 7 May at 10:21PM
    Options
    Buying a joint property for them, (or gifting the £ for a joint property) is a bad idea. They may get on well now, but the future is unknown. And their circumstances might well change.
    Just read the forum for examples of where joint ownership has gone t*ts-up!
    Gift them each whatever amount you want and let them use it independently as they wish.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do your daughters live together now or will this be a new arrangement.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,508 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Silver, we intend to make it so they can’t move other people in, they will need to sell at the point of wanting something different.

thanks again
    I am not a legal person, but I would think that will be pretty difficult to arrange.
    This suggestion in a previous post is better and much simpler, and less likely to cause family arguments.

Gift them each whatever amount you want and let them use it independently as they wish.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Scotbot said: Golden visa schemes can be withdrawn with little notice, Portugal and Spain have just withdrawn theirs.
    Whilst Spain may have withdrawn their golden visa scheme, Portugal's is still running. However, you can no longer invest in property or transfer capital investments to qualify. Quite likely the rules will change again before too long, so I've missed the boat on buying up a Quinta in the Douro Valley :(

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • landsbeyondthesea
    landsbeyondthesea Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
      Gift money to kids to then pay for their purchase (would they be able to start the purchase process on the back of the expected money from us?  We would insist there are some controls written into it to protect them both individually and jointly. Budget for them would be around 200k. 

I'm not sure how the money is a gift if you want to write something that controls how it is used. I understand a gift as something given with no conditions. There could be implications around restricting its use or disposal.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback