🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

learner accident query

Options
Crazydennie
Crazydennie Posts: 238 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I was out today with my 17-year-old giving her a lesson when we were hit by someone reversing too fast out of their drive.  Minor damage but the car is dented and scratched.  The driver admitted fault straight away and gave details so no issue there.  

I am under the understanding that all accidents need to be reported so we duly called my daughter's insurer Collingwood to advise them. The number provided linked through to Winn solicitors.  I double-checked that I was on the correct site. I was then advised that as my daughter is under 18 the claim would have to be in my name with my daughter listed as the driver and they would follow up with the other driver's insurance.

As it is in my name Is this going to affect what accidents I need to declare for future cover even though the fault was not my daughter's?
I'm Ever hopeful!
:j:j:j:j

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They are proposing to use credit hire and repairs but as your daughter is a minor she is able to obtain credit which is why they are asking for you to sign up. Is it your car or hers? 

If the third party admitted liability at the scene and gave you details have you spoken to their insurers? They may be more than happy to deal with your daughter directly and avoid the issues of credit terms. Note if you do claim directly you have no right to go to the Ombudsman  if things go wrong however rights via credit hire are also very limited unless you can show the broker/insurer didnt do their job properly when passing you to the credit provider. 
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    It is my car and yes that is what they are proposing.  So is this going down as my claim even though I haven't had an accident?

I haven't spoken to the other parties insurance company but she has advised that she has reported it.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    It is my car and yes that is what they are proposing.  So is this going down as my claim even though I haven't had an accident?

I haven't spoken to the other parties insurance company but she has advised that she has reported it.
    As long as there are no injuries then the third party insurers may be a simpler solution. 

Dont recall any cases in my Motor days of a parent taking credit hire etc because the driver was a minor. As these companies are not regulated generally they can be heavy on the sales process and things get a bit messy when its easily shown the sales people didnt ask the right questions... generally though, its on them if their sales guys mess up but it can occasionally be a bit of challenge 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How is the car insured? Is it your daughters insurance with her as the main driver and you as the named driver, or is it one of these on top insurance policies across your main insurance?
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    400ixl said:
    How is the car insured? Is it your daughters insurance with her as the main driver and you as the named driver, or is it one of these on top insurance policies across your main insurance?
    As the daughter isn't the owner Collingwood will only sell a top up policy
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If the car is still road legal and driveable get liability sorted with the third party before instigating repairs on your vehicle.

My last accident was my car being driven into when parked.  I sorted a repair through my dealer who invoiced the third party insurer.  When I recently changed insurer I noticed the claim was recorded but as a 'no claim made' incident.
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    I tried to call the third party's insurance but line was closed so will call them in the morning.

Is there a cooling-off period for these companies as I have already agreed but the car is still with me and is not due to be collected until next week.?
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options

is the insurance policy on your name?
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    there are two policies on the car. my daughters learner insurance and my comp policy                  
    I'm Ever hopeful!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family