🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CF83 for expats now on line

Options
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-to-pay-voluntary-national-insurance-contributions-when-abroad-cf83#ways-to-apply

I lived in Australia from 1997 to 2017 but am now back in the UK. Phoned the pensions forecast service and was told for the years overseas I needed to fill in a CF83

Completed the postal version in March 2023. Received a reply 49 weeks later asking me to fill in another form for class 2 contributions.Posted that but 6 weeks later no reply. Rang them to be told the clock restarts and the wait is now 57 weeks!

Was also told I could do it online now and it would take 10 days. So I  did. Received response 7 days later with a table detailing each missing year and the amount to pay.

Letter contained URL for payment details, if you have lived overseas you don't use the 18 digit reference even if you are now back in the UK. 

It's very confusing but hopefully I will be topped up  shortly 

Comments

• Jambo51
    Jambo51 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the information. 

I’m living in Australia and submitted online CF83 on 17 April 2024. When I receive a response I will provide an update so that fellow expats in AUS have an indicative timeline.
  • stillEuropean
    stillEuropean Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting. I filled out a CF83 online on 2 April, 2024 for having been an expat in Sweden after being told by HMRC it would take about two weeks to process. Still no word. They also sent me an acknowledgement saying I should check the gov.uk site for when I could expect to hear from them, but none of the available options on that site include paying Class 2 contributions. 
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think HMRC was pointing you at the message section of your personal tax account, rather than the NI/pension section.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure