Pension Pot Gone Down!!

Options
I consulted a financial advisor who invested my meagre retirement amount of money last year. 

I haven’t  looked at it until now as I know it’s not good to look at it regularly and am horrified that it’s gone down £8000!

Whereas I know they go down as well as up I didn’t expect that amount of drop in a year?!

It’s all invested in various Vanguard accounts.

i know nothing about investing and confess the whole thing confuses me!! :'(

Any advice on whether this sounds ok/normal at the moment or should I move my money?!

Got a meeting with my F.A in the next couple of weeks.

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I consulted a financial advisor who invested my meagre retirement amount of money last year. 

I haven’t  looked at it until now as I know it’s not good to look at it regularly and am horrified that it’s gone down £8000!

Whereas I know they go down as well as up I didn’t expect that amount of drop in a year?!

i know nothing about investing and confess the whole thing confuses me!! :'(

Any advice on whether this sounds ok/normal at the moment or should I move my money?!

Why did you go with a financial advisor rather than an independent financial advisor 🤔

And can you add some context by giving an idea of what the initial amount invested was?  What's meagre to you might be a fortune to others!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,665 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It really depends on the value - your definition of meagre might be quite different to someone else's
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pat38493
    Pat38493 Posts: 2,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    As said above, to comment further I think you would need to say how much the total pot was worth, and also which Vanguard funds it was invested in, and lastly what did you tell the adviser about when you would need the money (e.g. if you don't need the money for 20 years a drop in the current year is just a paper change).
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,383 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    a lot of funds have yoyo'd about.  some of my DC funds are way down officially but when I see a current valuation things are not that bad.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An £8000 drop needs context.    For example, on a £20k fund value, an £8k drop is a lot.    However, on a £100k fund value, it is a tiny drop.

Most negative periods last less than 3 months.   A fewer number last less than 6 months and so on.   In some cases, you could get three negative years in a row.     Timescale and size of drop are not correlated.   

You don't say which Vanguard funds but here are some of their popular multi-asset funds over the last 12 months.

All are up over 12 months.  Although one is down over the last quarter.
    i know nothing about investing and confess the whole thing confuses me!! 

This is why you pay for an adviser.  There is no point paying an adviser but then coming to the internet to ask things you are paying a professional for.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven’t  looked at it until now as I know it’s not good to look at it regularly and am horrified that it’s gone down £8000! Whereas I know they go down as well as up I didn’t expect that amount of drop in a year?!

People can invest in Vanguard without an advisor. I assume there is no ongoing fee from the advisor?
    The FTSE is 6% up over the last 12 months, when did your investment start?

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    People can invest in Vanguard without an advisor. I assume there is no ongoing fee from the advisor?
    They can invest in the OEIC versions without an adviser but the MPS versions require an adviser.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Options

'Malkiel’s prescription for investors is very straightforward. Instead of buying individual stocks or investing in actively managed funds, he says investors should simply buy and hold a broad-based index fund, or portfolio of index funds. They should diversify, stay the course, and resist the temptation to trade more often than is strictly necessary.'

https://www.rock-wealth.co.uk/a-random-walk-down-wall-street-six-takeaways/ 

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,502 Forumite
    Options
    The large majority of mainstream medium risk funds have gone up in the last 12 months, so a loss seems against the trend. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback