IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CCJ from Gladstone Solicitors on behalf of PCN: 11-4-24

Options
Hi everyone, 
I'm a complete newbie. Received two letters: a CCJ letter, and another from Gladstones Solicitors on behalf of PCM dated 11th April 2024 to pay £294.24 (attached). Just saw this letters as it was at another address. 

The ticket issued was for my permit slipping down. I reached out to my housing management Peabody to have this cancelled before it got to this stage, but seems like they haven't done much. 

Have a couple of days to respond, and would really appreciate all your help! 

Many thanks!

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Did you receive the County Court claim form?  Did you respond to it (Acknowledgement of Service and a Defence submitted)?  If neither, why?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • hot_chocolate
    hot_chocolate Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I only have these two letters. I'm not sure about a County Court claim form. 
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It really is time for you to check your vehicle's Registration Document(V5c).
    It is the Registered Keeper's responsibility to keep that updated every time the RK changes address.
  • hot_chocolate
    Options
    Thanks. I am the registered keeper, and the letters came to my parents' address where my car is currently registered.

The only letter before these was the LBC one as far as I recall; that's when I contacted my housing management company. 
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 May at 6:02PM
    Options
    Thanks. I am the registered keeper, and the letters came to my parents' address where my car is currently registered.

The only letter before these was the LBC one as far as I recall; that's when I contacted my housing management company. 
    Then that is probably where the claim form went, meaning that you should have been made aware of it by your parents because you have registered that address for service of papers 

The fact is that if the claim form went to that address and wasnt Dealt with promptly, then you are unlikely to get a set aside, which you would have to pay for at over £300, with no guarantee of getting it back, on top of a judgment 

You should be receiving your mail regularly, or this will happen again
  • hot_chocolate
    Options
    It seems like that letter hasn't come through then for whatever reason as I have received all my letters.

Does this mean that the only way out of this is now to pay the fine?

Appreciate all the help. 
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can phone the CNBC tomorrow after 9am to see which address was used, but if it was the same address as the V5c and the other letters, then it will be presumed to have arrived 2 working days later. You could request a copy of the claim form by email to check the address etc , but this sounds like a problem in you not receiving the forms but they probably arrived at your parents address where the V5c is registered 

Its too late to pay the "fine" , much too late , that option expired a long time ago 

The default CCJ would need to be paid in full to the lawyers before the deadline expires, typically within 30 days of the judgment date ( or to the claimant if no lawyers were used. )

The payment details are on the forms 

• hot_chocolate
    Options
    Thanks. It would only have gone my parents' address. But I'm absolutely sure that letter has not come through.

I guess there's no way out of this but to pay the full amount, unless you have any other suggestions. 

Thanks again.
  • LDast
    LDast Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The burden of proof that the claim form was not received at your parents address lies with you. On the balance probabilities, if all other correspondence was received, then you have little to go on. You can try complaining to the CNBC that the clam form was never received but I doubt it will do much good in this case.

Your only other options are to try and get this set aside under CPR 13.3 but it will cost you almost as much with no guarantee that it will be successful.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the OP is not living at the parents' address and has a different residence (where a CRA trace would have found him/her) then they could apply to set aside the CCJ.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback