buying a gift from Amazon US for friend in US - best way to pay?

Options
wallofbeans
wallofbeans Posts: 1,403 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 7 May at 2:25PM in Credit cards
Hi All,

I'm buying a surprise gift for a friend who lives in the US. I can get this via Amazon and because I'm spending over $35 it's free shipping. Great.

But then it gets to the paying for it bit. I'm using my UK credit card and the site asks if I want them to convert the amount into GBP (for a fee) or do I want to pay in USD and let my credit card convert it. 

Can anyone advise which is the better option? Or even if there is another way to do it - different card for example?

Thanks!

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 2:29PM
    Options
    Impossible to say unless you tell us what credit card it is.  Even so I suspect almost every credit card would work out better than the Amazon conversion (but you dont tell us what that is, either)
  • wallofbeans
    edited 7 May at 2:38PM
    Options
    Credit card is Halifax Platinum Mastercard. 

Total is USD is $56.80
    Total in Amazon converted GBP is £46.49 (that includes a £1.24 "exchange rate g'tee fee)
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 2:40PM
    Options
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/using-a-credit-card-abroad.html

Personally you would be better off using a forex free card like Chase, Monzo or Starling, they are numerous in number. That Amazon converstion isnt terrible tbh, looks like the only fee they have actually added is that £1.24, and havent used a naff rate.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    la531983 said:
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/using-a-credit-card-abroad.html

Personally you would be better off using a forex free card like Chase, Monzo or Starling, they are numerous in number. That Amazon converstion isnt terrible tbh, looks like the only fee they have actually added is that £1.24, and havent used a naff rate.
    So could I use my Chase current account card? Or would I need a credit card from one of the companies you mentioned above? I only have the one credit card currently. 

And - so if I just go with the Amazon conversion, it's probably just £1.24 more than if I used a "forex free card"? 
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 2:50PM
    Options
    Chase card would work fine and would charge you the bank rate in USD, Amazon accept debit cards too.

And yes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure