🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Confused.

Options
Hi I'm looking for advice. My child is interim care while I fight to get them back. As my child is not in my care can the sure start maternity grant be backdated as they will be 6 months old or just over if they come home? I have parental responsibility but shared with local authority or can I apply now because I have shared responsibility? I don't have any other evidence only the MAT-B1 and I'm the father. Thank you

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi I'm looking for advice. My child is interim care while I fight to get them back. As my child is not in my care can the sure start maternity grant be backdated as they will be 6 months old or just over if they come home? I have parental responsibility but shared with local authority or can I apply now because I have shared responsibility? I don't have any other evidence only the MAT-B1 and I'm the father. Thank you
     You must claim before the child is 6 months old. The only exception is for adopters. 
  • Fluffyhammy24
    Options
    So it can't be backdated then? If I apply the only evidence is the MAT-B1 which I had from the mum when she was pregnant. The form asks for some sort of certificate to prove have I responsibility but I don't have anything. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options

https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant/how-to-claim

Get help with your claim

Call the Sure Start Maternity Grant helpline.

Sure Start Maternity Grant helpline
    Telephone: 0800 169 0140
    Textphone: 0800 169 0286   Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 169 0140
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Welsh language: 0800 169 0240
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    So it can't be backdated then? If I apply the only evidence is the MAT-B1 which I had from the mum when she was pregnant. The form asks for some sort of certificate to prove have I responsibility but I don't have anything. 
     There is nothing to backdate. Its a fixed amount that must be applied for before baby is 6 months old. 
     If you require documentation i would contact your child's social worker. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure