IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

county court judgement issued against me

Options
I was issued a parking charge notice in September 2020 from ParkingEye.

On the 19th March 2024 I received a claim form from the county court.
I submitted an acknowledgement of service on 30th March 2024
Acknowledgement of service received on 2nd April 2024
A judgement issued against me on 24th April 2024

I failed to submit a defense on time (100% my fault and I have no excuses). I must pay the claimant £331.84. 

I have looked at the newbies posts and have researched other posts. Do I just pay the claimant or is there a way to avoid this by going down the N244 - Application Notice.

I have had multiple other parking charges which have got to court stage and the claimant has always withdrawn their case. I made an error in this case by not submitting a defense. Is it now too late to submit a defense?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• lkjasd
    lkjasd Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some additional info: I was on holiday from the 27th March 2024 - 04th May 2024 which is why I forgot to submit my defense. This is not really a valid excuse is it as the judgement was already issued against me on the 24th March but I did not see the letter until I returned from holiday. 
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    failed to submit a defense on time (100% my fault and I have no excuses).
    is there a way to avoid this by going down the N244 - Application Notice.
    The only outcome from a N244 Application (given your 'no excuses' admission) is you sending your £303 application fee down the pan, adding further to the £331.84 ordered by the judge. 

Pay the judgment in full by the deadline given by the court - no agreeing to any on-the-drip payment plan.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You pay the business named in the second paragraph on the left of the claim form, usually a lawyer firm, but could be the claimant, so depends on which entity issued the claim 

Given the total involved, it sounds like an intermediary was involved 
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cunningly hidden on the back of your Claim Form is a box entitled How to Pay.
  • lkjasd
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I'll have to pay out this time.

Just out of curiosity, I also had a previous court judgement for which I spent time and effort to turn up to court but noone from the claimant arrived and I was told on the day that the case had been dropped. Surely I should have ben told in advance?

Is there anything I can do to be compensated for this?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lkjasd said:
    Thanks for your response. I'll have to pay out this time.

Just out of curiosity, I also had a previous court judgement for which I spent time and effort to turn up to court but noone from the claimant arrived and I was told on the day that the case had been dropped. Surely I should have ben told in advance?

Is there anything I can do to be compensated for this?
    You might have done at the time, but unlikely now. Which claimant/solicitor?  How long ago?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • lkjasd
    Options
    It was with UKPC and the date was 16th April 2024. I spoke to the lady at reception who told me to email the county court, which i did. 

I have not heard anything back in return.
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Then only the court can assist you, you are an unrepresented Litigant in person so are conducting your own cases so its your job to liaise with the court system and to contact them, only they can answer those questions 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure