Valuation for a private number plate

Options
ToonReiver
ToonReiver Posts: 6 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi all, I can't see anything on the forum using the search function about this so I hope someone might be able to help with this.

I was in a crash last year and my car was declared a write-off by my insurer. After it happened, my sister gave me her old Honda Jazz, which she was about to sell, as a stop-gap. It's done me well but as someone who is more than 6ft tall, it's not an ideal car me!

I want to sell it now and get something more appropriate for my height and split what I get for it with my sister. When I've entered the reg number on We Buy Any Car the price quoted is way more that I would have expected (it's a 2005 car with low mileage but the initial quote is almost £4k, I know you can't take WBAC quotes at face value but still...). I think the reason for the high price might be that it has a private registration and I'm now wondering if the reg number might be worth more than the car itself.

Can anyone recommend a way to find out the value of a private number plate and provide any guidance on the best way to sell them? 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 12:30PM
    Options
    Depends on just what the plate is.

This has cropped up a lot.

In reality most private plates are really personal to the owner, so initials etc. Which to many people are just like a ordinary plate.

If you are talking about something like U1 then they are worth something.
    But I would not expect WBAC to factor that into the price.

In reality they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Watch out for companies that say you will get £££ for it, as it might take a long time or never be sold.
    Life in the slow lane
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Never seen WBAC assume a plate will be part of the sale and price accordingly. Vanity plates unless ageless in reality tend to be worth a couple of hundred quid, so wouldn't explain the doubling of what is really a sub £2k car.

What is the plate on it?

One on Autotrader with 45k miles for £1800.

Sounds like something else has gone wrong. Did the right car come back as being valued?

If the right car came back and it isn't an ageless plate I's be up there taking their arm off. Even if the knock £500 off you are onto a winner.

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was the plate on a different, more valuable car previously and WBAC are listing that?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read their quote and see if it includes the plate as part of the value

Given you can get initial plates for £300-£400 online I doubt it's a big factor
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback