Car been in for repairs in a garage for weeks

Options
emmalemon86
emmalemon86 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We took our car to a garage that we hadn't used before for a repair of an oil leak. Told about labour costs bht had to chase for part cost. Chang3 a gasket, Initially told a few days work, and booked in the following week.
No communication from the garage if the work was completed, called up and told wrong part sent, correct part on back order will be a bit longer.
Part comes in, told a bit longer, extensive job. Another week goes by, same story except they need another engine prop to get the engine out, will get that the following week.
At this point we accept their courtesy car, a 20 year old vehicle that doesn't lock and looks like it hasn't been looked after. 5 weeks in.
Next week, garage asks "have you had the timing chain replaced? The seal has not been replaced, will need a new part", will let you know the price of Labour on that. This week I MOT check the courtesy car to find its MOT lapsed 5 months ago. Call the garage to say so, when will I get my car, told the end of the week. Garage arranges to collect the courtesy car and replace on the Friday. I ask the mechanic who collects why I need another courtesy car if I'm getting my car back today, he tells me more like Wednesday next week "the guys have really struggled with it". Mechanic suggested the courtesy car would be MOTd and returned to me. I told him not to bother, I didn't trust it.

We are on 7 weeks in the garage with the time scale increasing everything I speak to them. Afraid of kicking off incase damage is caused to our vehicle. What legal advice can anyone offer?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have home insurance? If so, check to see if you have Legal Expenses cover as part of the policy, if you do, call the Legal Helpline provided by your insurer for advice. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • emmalemon86
    emmalemon86 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, I don't think I do but I will check
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like they don’t know what they are doing. I’d take it to another garage for an inspection once you get it back. You might find they have damaged stuff during this repair which you may otherwise only find out about at the next MOT when it will be too late to complain.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get them to reassemble the car, pay whatever they charge you for. Most important thing is to get the car back.

Once its been inspected at another garage, you can then claim for what you paid out for the failed repair and any further costs you have incurred. At least they won't be able to damage your car or hold you to ransomed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback